Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monocular

Monocular

I have difficulty using binoculars,end up shutting one eye ( I tend to see double,but my eyes compensate for it)
    does anyone use a monocular? Any suggestions?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Monocular

friend at work got rid of his angled spotting scope in favour of a straight spotting scope so he can use it instead of binos...

Depending on what I'm doing I sometimes carry a Vortex Solo, 10 x 25.
    Light weight, easy to carry.
    Field of view and brightness considerably less than the usual 10 x 40 or 50 bino of course.

I don't understand your difficulty. Unless you have a problem with one eye, some sickness, stigmatism etc, you should be able to use it and not get fatigued

Do you know how to adjust your binos to use both eyes?
    What binos do you have?

I don't see a scenario in which a monocular would be better.
    Unless you are a pirate.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

I got a Vortex 8x36 monocular for my son for his 5th birthday. It works pretty good
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    I don't understand your difficulty. Unless you have a problem with one eye, some sickness, stigmatism etc, you should be able to use it and not get fatigued

Do you know how to adjust your binos to use both eyes?
    What binos do you have?

I don't see a scenario in which a monocular would be better.
    Unless you are a pirate.
    X2. Using two eyes is alway (almost) less fatiguing then using only one eye. Have you seen an optometrist about this?

Have only ever used a monocular at concerts and ball games, they have their place
    Knew a guide with only one working eye, he had a Swaro range finder, good glass and a h of a lot cheaper than rangefinding binos
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Yeah,I talked to the optometrist about it,I have a damaged right eye that my prescription glasses corrects but I find it a challange to use binoculars, even when adjusting them and end up shutting my right eye and just using my left eye....I did wonder about getting some higher end binoculars you adjust once for your eyes then leave them alone

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    Yeah,I talked to the optometrist about it,I have a damaged right eye that my prescription glasses corrects but I find it a challange to use binoculars, even when adjusting them and end up shutting my right eye and just using my left eye....I did wonder about getting some higher end binoculars you adjust once for your eyes then leave them alone

Every binocular I've seen has independently adjustable left and right lense.
    My cheap $50 pair of Bushnells has a little wheel at the right lense that you can adjust. My Leupolds have it also.

You first adjust the other (non adjustable) lense by focusing on an object with only your left eye and make sure it's clear.
    You do this by adjusting the main adjustment wheel.
    Then you adjust only your right eye by using the wheel adjustement under the right lense.
    Then check both eyes.
    Maybe you just need to re-adjust it correctly.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    If the diopter adjustment doesn't have a lock, a wrap of electrical tape may do it
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole