Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bison meat

Re: Bison meat

That's too bad about the meat being so tough. I was impressed with how tender and lean both of our bison were. Hamburger and jerky seem the best solution.

The meat may have suffered from Cold Shortening. Meat shouldn't be cooled too quickly within the first 12-16 hours or frozen before about 72 hours. Once rigor mortus sets in, it takes about 72 hours for it to release, if it hasn't there is nothing you can do to improve the meat, it essentially will forever be in a state of Rigor. I learned this the hard way after a deer froze on me within hours of shooting it. I thought it was a good thing, but it was the worst wild game I've ever eaten. There is actually a number of things happening to the meat in the first 72 hours after death, and the science is interesting and definitely has a substantial affect on the meat quality.

Our bison from 3 years ago was some of the nicest game I’ve eaten. I’m not a steak guy, but love my roasts, especially cross rib roasts. We only have some burger left and need to chase another one
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by tdot View Post
    The meat may have suffered from Cold Shortening. Meat shouldn't be cooled too quickly within the first 12-16 hours or frozen before about 72 hours. Once rigor mortus sets in, it takes about 72 hours for it to release, if it hasn't there is nothing you can do to improve the meat, it essentially will forever be in a state of Rigor. I learned this the hard way after a deer froze on me within hours of shooting it. I thought it was a good thing, but it was the worst wild game I've ever eaten. There is actually a number of things happening to the meat in the first 72 hours after death, and the science is interesting and definitely has a substantial affect on the meat quality.
    I’ve never heard of this. When I shot mine it was about -35C, we immediately cleaned and quartered it and it froze solid in no time at all...hung it for a week back in PG in a garage just barely above freezing and butchered ourselves.

It was the most tender, delicious game meat I’ve ever had.
    Twist and pull.

Interesting, I wonder if the -35 was so cold that something entirely different occurs. In the meat packing plants they literally electrocute the meat to prevent the issue so they can freeze within 24 hours. There is a ton of scientific studies on it and the effects on meat.

I did do most of this bison into burger which is excellent, I only kept the prime cuts that are so disappointing.
    I took a nice bull in Wyoming a few years ago and had most of it done into burger and the prime cuts done in roasts and steaks, the table fare was excellent, this bull was shot in shirt sleeve weather, we needed to get this one cooled in a hurry!
    My tough bull was not as big as the Wyoming bison, figured we were in for some wonderful table fare.
    I'm wondering if that cold quick freeze was the culprit that made my meat so tough.
    I have tried to age it in the fridge to no avail. It dose make some real great chewie jerky and beautiful peperoni. My grand kids say my burgers are the best.