Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bison meat

Bison meat

I got a bison last year and was wondering how others are enjoying their meat. I have shot lots of old mature moose and deer and have never had anything as tough as this bison.
    I have marinated, slow cooked and sous vide a bunch of the more desirable cuts like t-bone steaks and rump roasts, I have good teeth and have a hell of a time chewing this thing. The only way I can tenderize this is by pressure cooking the crap out of it. I am now turning t-bones into stews and chilli.
    The ground burger is very nice great flavour, thinking of chunking up all the roasts and turning it into burger.
    This bison was shot in really cold windy conditions, was freezing quickly, hide stiffened up before we could quarter it and load into truck. It was frozen in the morning and didn't start to thaw out till we hit the ferry, hung for five days before butchering, maybe it should have hung for much longer?
    MM

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bison meat

Personally, I think I would have hung thawed it out and tried a steak to see what it was like, and then I would have hung it at least 15 days.

And possibly longer than that. I wouldn't even have contemplated cutting at less than 12 days myself.

Other thing you can do is take steaks out and thaw them in the fridge, and dry off all the blood and just let them age for a week + in the fridge before cooking. That will help some.

Shot a big bull 5 years ago and it was excellent. Killed it in January, -30 weather. Froze solid for 3 days before I got to the butcher. They hung it for 2 weeks. Maybe the butcher you used wasn’t familiar with proper cuts of meat? I recall getting quite a bit of burger back but steaks and roasts were great.

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    Other thing you can do is take steaks out and thaw them in the fridge, and dry off all the blood and just let them age for a week + in the fridge before cooking. That will help some.
    This worked on my bison.

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

I have eaten more wild bison than the average Joe and only one was tough, but it was a freaking monster, and truth be told I only got pepperoni from that one but was told it was tough.
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

I shot a 10 yr old bull several years ago. It was tough as nails. Literally had to lean on your fork for a few steaks. Chew, and chew, and chew, and chew, then chew some more. By the end I just took what steaks I had left and ground them all

Yup, try aging it in your fridge for a number of days. Sure can't hurt.
    Make jerky is another option.

Marinate the meat and use baking soda in the marinade to tenderize the meat.
    1/8" slices and in the marinade for 6 hours.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    Marinate the meat and use baking soda in the marinade to tenderize the meat.
    1/8" slices and in the marinade for 6 hours.
    1/32" slice even better. Then marinate for 7 days or Grind it into burger, then grind it again, after that grind it one more time.
    Then call your dentist to book appointment for broken and cracked teeth.
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

I was warned that the big bull I got with my bow (and the only bison I shot) would be tough so I just went ahead and ground it all into burger. You can do a lot with burger. But the best part of the bison is still the memory of the hunt!