Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Terrible weekend. Messed up two shots and lost my bear.

Re: Terrible weekend. Messed up two shots and lost my bear.

Man that's rough. Hunt long enough and it's bound to happen eventually, hopefully that bear will shake it off and be cruising for sows next month. Keep us posted on your findings if you get up there this weekend!
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

Old people say,,,,bear fat is covering bullet hole and stop bleeding that way....maybe true..f..g

Too bade someone with tracking hounds wasn't able to come out and lend a hand. That's a shitty feeling but as hunters it will happen to us all at some point in time. It isn't a matter of if....it's a matter of when.

Well since it seems this post is here for learning a few things that come to mind is on first bear you mention you caught a glimpse of it at 15 yards and shoot. Doesnt seem like much time to identify if had cubs or not.
    Then at this distance you miss by a few feet sounds like. One would maybe think rifle should be checked after that before proceeding after another. You decide to shoot at another even so you say you didnt really want it,
    results turned out not that great there either. Now many of the comments seem to suggest thats ok it happens thats part of hunting, I feel the wildlife deserves a bit more respect then that. So when you see there is over 100,000
    hunters in B.C. that is a lot of animals that are out there wounded, that may die.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Well since it seems this post is here for learning a few things that come to mind is on first bear you mention you caught a glimpse of it at 15 yards and shoot. Doesnt seem like much time to identify if had cubs or not.
    Then at this distance you miss by a few feet sounds like. One would maybe think rifle should be checked after that before proceeding after another. You decide to shoot at another even so you say you didnt really want it,
    results turned out not that great there either. Now many of the comments seem to suggest thats ok it happens thats part of hunting, I feel the wildlife deserves a bit more respect then that. So when you see there is over 100,000
    hunters in B.C. that is a lot of animals that are out there wounded, that may die.
    LMAO, Holy Fcuk, your really, uhm, entertaining?

In a certain way perhaps..
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

Mistake made, Lesson learnt!. Come back stronger bud

That's fine. I'll entertain it. When I see a pile of assumptions or "things that didn't happen", crafted into a "kick him while he's down" post, I feel slightly obligated to defend my character even though many have known me on here and in person for several years.

First is the bear crossing the spur road while walking back to camp. Now remember, I am walking UP the spur road. And though front end partially obstructed by brush, I had plenty of time to see not only a "wang", but the sack that goes along with that. For the next few minutes, I am seeing the bear virtually the entire time. It was down in a little dip a ways off the spur feeding at the time I was waiting for enough for a double lung. When I saw the shot, I took it. I did not account for a stump that was in front of me in the path of the barrel but not visible in the scope. Yes, mistake #1 which I fully own, admit to and even posted publicly. But apparently if you don't explicitly mention every detail (though I am verbose and long winded enough as it is and think I described the stump situation thoroughly) there's always someone that will reach to find fault or in this case fault beyond what was actually made. I'm used to it. I have a youtube vid with around 2mil views, just a reality of posting things.

It's kind of funny that getting flung in my direction... same guy who has passed on dozens of bears I am not sure about, because I want to know for certain it's a boar (probably pass on 5 for every 1) I have taken over a half dozen boars and not a single sow. And for those who have read my posts over the years will remember why I never take a chance on sows, because I watched and filmed one for two evenings in a row and as tempted as I was, it just felt wrong. On the second day, about 4 hours of watching her in total, I caught a brief glimpse of her two little fuzzballs quite a ways back in the timber. Personally I cannot fathom how anyone is "driving along", sees a bear in a cut or similar, jumps out and takes a shot. I think we can agree on that. Cubs aside, if I dont know for certain it's a boar, I pass. Because if there is any amount of cover that could hide or obstruct a small black thing smaller than a football, it's a bad move. One could spend 4 hours (as I have) and only catch a glimpse for a few seconds that entire time... but yeah "caddisguy bad, should wait longer to watch for cubs, needs more lessons"

Anyway, back to bear #1, rifle did what it was supposed to do. I had absolutely no doubt or need to question it. I knew where the bear was, I saw what happened to the top of the stump.

Bear #2 was simply a bad shot. I knew I jerked the trigger. And in addition to that, though I knew I made a bad shot (and I wish I missed by "a few feet" as the poster suggests, since that would have been a clean miss) I set up a target in the exact place the bear was and shot from the exact position I was. I shot 4x. 3 were 1" left and another was 1.5", so I gave it 3 clicks, but just another example failure to mention every detail and those looking to find fault (in addition to the fault admitted and lesson conveyed) will do so. Gotta love social media.

Anyway I just circled back to post the update that there was no "bird activity" or stink in the area. Either the bear is alive munching grass and dandelions or crawled into a deep dark place. I'll never know. That's the update. Didn't expect the hit piece post though. I own and fully admit my mistakes and mistakes were made... no need for people who weren't there to make up their own version to add additional criticism. Though the advice is solid and I agree with it (it should not be discounted) it's barking up the wrong tree here so to speak.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 05-09-2021 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    So he Phucked up a Little - We ALL do sooner or later ! Anyhow its just a POS Predator black bear - No BIG Deal ! RJ

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    That's fine. I'll entertain it. When I see a pile of assumptions or "things that didn't happen", crafted into a "kick him while he's down" post, I feel slightly obligated to defend my character even though many have known me on here and in person for several years.

First is the bear crossing the spur road while walking back to camp. Now remember, I am walking UP the spur road. And though front end partially obstructed by brush, I had plenty of time to see not only a "wang", but the sack that goes along with that. For the next few minutes, I am seeing the bear virtually the entire time. It was down in a little dip a ways off the spur feeding at the time I was waiting for enough for a double lung. When I saw the shot, I took it. I did not account for a stump that was in front of me in the path of the barrel but not visible in the scope. Yes, mistake #1 which I fully own, admit to and even posted publicly. But apparently if you don't explicitly mention every detail (though I am verbose and long winded enough as it is and think I described the stump situation thoroughly) there's always someone that will reach to find fault or in this case fault beyond what was actually made. I'm used to it. I have a youtube vid with around 2mil views, just a reality of posting things.

It's kind of funny that getting flung in my direction... same guy who has passed on dozens of bears I am not sure about, because I want to know for certain it's a boar (probably pass on 5 for every 1) I have taken over a half dozen boars and not a single sow. And for those who have read my posts over the years will remember why I never take a chance on sows, because I watched and filmed one for two evenings in a row and as tempted as I was, it just felt wrong. On the second day, about 4 hours of watching her in total, I caught a brief glimpse of her two little fuzzballs quite a ways back in the timber. Personally I cannot fathom how anyone is "driving along", sees a bear in a cut or similar, jumps out and takes a shot. I think we can agree on that. Cubs aside, if I dont know for certain it's a boar, I pass. Because if there is any amount of cover that could hide or obstruct a small black thing smaller than a football, it's a bad move. One could spend 4 hours (as I have) and only catch a glimpse for a few seconds that entire time... but yeah "caddisguy bad, should wait longer to watch for cubs, needs more lessons"

Anyway, back to bear #1, rifle did what it was supposed to do. I had absolutely no doubt or need to question it. I knew where the bear was, I saw what happened to the top of the stump.

Bear #2 was simply a bad shot. I knew I jerked the trigger. And in addition to that, though I knew I made a bad shot (and I wish I missed by "a few feet" as the poster suggests, since that would have been a clean miss) I set up a target in the exact place the bear was and shot from the exact position I was. I shot 4x. 3 were 1" left and another was 1.5", so I gave it 3 clicks, but just another example failure to mention every detail and those looking to find fault (in addition to the fault admitted and lesson conveyed) will do so. Gotta love social media.

Anyway I just circled back to post the update that there was no "bird activity" or stink in the area. Either the bear is alive munching grass and dandelions or crawled into a deep dark place. I'll never know. That's the update. Didn't expect the hit piece post though. I own and fully admit my mistakes and mistakes were made... no need for people who weren't there to make up their own version to add additional criticism. Though the advice is solid and I agree with it (it should not be discounted) it's barking up the wrong tree here so to speak.
    Caddisguy
    No need to explain your actions. Most of us understand what happened, and qudo's to you for bringing it forward and trying to understand what happened. You made a great attempt at recovery, and the fact you never saw the bear again, is pretty good evidence in my mind the shot did not hit vitals. Over the years I have harvested game that has healed over bullet wounds. What happened to you was not unique, and happens to a number of other hunters. It is seldom if ever intentional, and is probably a good learning experience. Best of luck on your future hunts and straight shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    So he Phucked up a Little - We ALL do sooner or later ! Anyhow its just a POS Predator black bear - No BIG Deal ! RJ
    Huh with comments like that no wonder its so hard to get non hunters on side of hunting.