Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear derby 2021!

Re: Bear derby 2021!

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Now, bear with me here.. (haha)

I am feeling like a lot of people here are going stir crazy with covid.. and could use the fresh air of a spring bear hunt.

So I propose we have a little fun competition to see who can find the biggest boar this season.
    (If this isn’t permitted feel free to delete)

I know we aren’t professionals but with pictures I think we will be able to judge just fine..we will use GREEN skull measurements as to ensure it’s this years bear, pictures must be taken with a ruler beside the skull squared off for scale.

There will also be a second category for fattest spring bear, pictures of depth of fat and just general rolly polley condition of the bear will be used to judge. No science here.

I am personally going to put up a prize of a $200 gift card from Great North Precision in Kelowna, great store and this is a good excuse to support them, this will be for the largest skull.

The prize for the fattest bear will be $100 to a undetermined hunting store(will update)
    I will stop taking entires via this thread July 4th 2021.
    Prizes will be sent via Email or mailed by July 10.

To enter you must;
    Post a reply to this thread inc picture of your bear as it lays.
    A brief story about the hunt and method of harvest used, if a rifle was used caliber and bullet.
    A picture of the skull removed with a ruler beside it squared off.
    Or
    A picture of the deepest fat on the bear with something common used for scale (think banana)

Who will be the judge is yet to be determined, the prize for the bears are subject to change (improve) if anyone else feels like pitching in and motivating some fellow hunters to get out and de stress and fill their freezers with delicious organic meat.

Now keep in mind this is just fun, so no stress! But if it encourages even one new bear hunter or one group to fill a second tag.. well it’s a win for everyone, delicious bear meat, a chance to win a prize and a couple less calves and fawns will meet an early demise.

If this goes over well and everyone has fun I will likely do this again in the fall.
    Heaviest grouse and longest brow tine on a deer.

Disclaimer**. Will not run the competition if there is less than 10 entries,this is both for fun and to motivate more people so encourage your friends to get out and tag some bears before calling and fawning season then they can make an account and post here, new and old members included.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...ght=wolf+derby

Quote Originally Posted by puddlejumper View Post
    people have a problem with wolf hunting period, it’s “trophy” hunting because the wolf doesn’t get eaten.
    why is a fishing derby OK? Fish deserve to die? lol
    I could care less if some snowflake gets offended with legal hunts and it only motivates me more to encourage new hunters to go shoot bears.

might have to up the prizes if it bothers anyone lol

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

I like the bear derby's! I will participate! Thank you, Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Awesome post, nice to see more comradery here. Adding a bit of a contest seems fun too. I am definitely going to be trying for a bear myself.

This post is no different then a fishing derby. Bringing the tree huggers into here is useless

people have a problem with wolf hunting period, it’s “trophy” hunting because the wolf doesn’t get eaten.
    I could care less if some snowflake gets offended with legal hunts and it only motivates me more to encourage new hunters to go shoot bears.

Well I did post this over to the wolf thread to see the reaction. I personally don’t care what we hunt that’s legal and that pics/stories get posted for everyone to view. IMO, we need to be out there more instead of hiding behind doors as we should be proud of what we do legally.

I don’t always agree with you Ryan, but good on you for starting this and creating incentive for everyone to engage in what we love to do. Great job!!!
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Apologies, I assumed that most people may recall the negative press that resulted from the wolf derbies, and with the increasing issues surrounding predator hunting, that includes black bear I just wanted to point out as was pointed out a number of times in the wolf thread that this might attract negative communications. I don't disagree with the intent of your thread just flagging potential issues.

Apologies, I assumed that most people may recall the negative press that resulted from the wolf derbies, and with the increasing issues surrounding predator hunting, that includes black bear I just wanted to point out as was pointed out a number of times in the wolf thread that this might attract negative communications. I don't disagree with the intent of your thread just flagging potential issues.

fair point, I respect that and am hopeful that you are incorrect this time.
    Time will tell.

If pooh bear hear about that,,,they all try to looks as skinny as possible..��

Ryothc i sent you a email..