Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Bear derby 2021!

Re: Bear derby 2021!

Quote Originally Posted by BrookTrout;[URL="tel:2261926"
    2261926[/URL]]roughly 20 3/4” right now!
    outstanding bear ! Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by BrookTrout View Post
    roughly 20 3/4” right now!
    Great bear, congrats! Did ya $hit your pants when he charged you?

Slightly! Was a bit exiting though! Also glad I was able to chamber a round fast enough and shoot haha
    Shoot em' Whack em' Stack em'

Finally got around to dealing with this frozen ball of fur in my freezer. Took a good 24 hrs to thaw out before I could do anything.
    Not quite in the league of the tanks posted here but he's my biggest yet.
    measurements: 11 5/8 + 6 6/8 = 18 3/8

Congrats to all the great bears here and a big thanks to those who chipped in and made this a fun spring.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Nice bruins folks!!! Good times hunting, good food in freezer, and saved a few of our ungulates!! Moosinaround
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

my official bear derby entry! (just before the deadline)

so full hunting story is in this thread here: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...-a-first-timer

Short version - I had been hunting hard every weekend and working through a particular valley. Lots of bear sign. Had some setbacks. Missed a bear and went back the next week. About halfway to my destination a big 'ol bear was on the trail in front of me.

Derby details:

shot with my Savage model 10 in .308, shooting 150gr Federal blue box soft points.

cleaned the cape out, measuring 6'6", nose to tail. 7' across the front paws.

Skull measurements - about 19": 7 3/8" wide + 11 5/8" long
    (let me know if i need to redo, I realize now that I included the bottom jaw)

This bear had a bunch of fat on him. I rendered out 7.5L total bear oil from 23lbs of fat i trimmed. My total yield off the bear was 86lbs of clean and bagged meat.

Thank you RyoTHC for organizing this! It was definitely motivating for me during the season and helped me get out and push hard to get my first bear.

As the bear lays:

Afternoon folks,

first I’d like to apologize for dropping the ball on this over the last few weeks, between moving surgery and then the fires it’s been a chaotic spring to say the least.

I didn’t realize my PM box was full of outgoing mail and I missed a bunch of PMs, thankfully a good number of people took to emailing me, which is great and I’m sorting through now.. to anyone who tried to message me and couldn’t get through, feel free to now as I’m playing catch up.

bear with me (pun intended) here, while I sort through emails and replies on here and try to catch back up on the replies ive missed.

I’ll be coordinating a trip to Kelowna as soon as I’m done helping with the local fire relief efforts this weekend, to purchase and pick up the prizes/ contributions and I’ll be reaching out to anyone who touched base with me in the next few hours.

I will say I’m glad to see A lot of first time bear harvests and younger folks joining in and gaining invaluable experience and knowledge by taking part in the bear season, and filling their freezer with amazing meat!

Mine and my hunting partners season went sideways real quick early, and it’s safe to say we will be chasing a lot of berry bears in the fall..

Will edit/update and be in touch with everyone over the remainder of the afternoon.

thanks for the patience !

Best part of a bear derby is this here !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktail1 View Post
    Best part of a bear derby is this here !!!!
    mmmmm, pass the onions!!!! I Love it