Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early Bull Moose tag 7-16 A Aug Sep

Early Bull Moose tag 7-16 A Aug Sep

My wife and I has a Bull tag for 7-16A we will heading from our farm on Vancouver Island mid Aug. First time hunting in the area and first time hunting this early. if any one would like to share some tips or locations please PM me. I am not expecting your honey hole just some basic areas for camp and hunting. Good luck with your hunt and stay safe.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Early Bull Moose tag 7-16 A Aug Sep

I had that draw a couple years ago very tough hunting in a week and a 1/2 we did not see a single moose. Lots and lots of predators Such as bears and wolves. We camped at fishhook lake. Is quite a lot of hunters when we were there and early September. While we were up there There was a camp and boat set on fire by apparently somebody from the mcleod lake reserve. But after talking to a few people they were specifically targeting one person. Pm Me for a few spots that might be productive

Quote Originally Posted by TedMcGill View Post
    My wife and I has a Bull tag for 7-16A we will heading from our farm on Vancouver Island mid Aug. First time hunting in the area and first time hunting this early. if any one would like to share some tips or locations please PM me. I am not expecting your honey hole just some basic areas for camp and hunting. Good luck with your hunt and stay safe.
    Hey congrats on the draw, that is great area but it can be busy. I would focus a lot either around by the river or locate the swamps. I know that sounds obvious but it is actually fairly dry in that area so water is key. Also absolutely bring an elk tag, but don’t tell anyone I told you that.

Thanks for the information having difficulty locating aBack Road map book for the area?

We are bringing our wall tent which is comfortable but I have heard from others that the grizzly bears are a problem. Should I be concerned about our safety in a tent? I have hunted in it for years without a worry!

I used to hunt the MU across the Parsnip River from 7-16 A but that was 20 years ago so not sure what it’s like now and we hunted that MU around Thanksgiving . So I’m not much help to you . But I’m wondering if a boat would not be a bad idea for you to hunt the Parsnip the 7-16 side . If you choose to do that watch the weather the Parsnip can rise quickly with rain !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by TedMcGill View Post
    We are bringing our wall tent which is comfortable but I have heard from others that the grizzly bears are a problem. Should I be concerned about our safety in a tent? I have hunted in it for years without a worry!
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Congrats on stealing my hunt. Fishook lake definetly the best place to camp. Bring a cartop boat, It saves packing when you shoot on the wrong side of the lake, and for fishing when you need a break from hunting. Moose numbers are down but they are still there. Lots of luck to you.

Thanks for the advice we will bring our canoe with us just in case we need it. I purchased the detailed hunt buddy app for my phone best I could do in finding a map. Hopefully the new back road map book will be out soon.

with the hunt buddy app, go into the small tab on the right side, mid way on the screen when you are in the map, (only if you are using an I phone, you will see this feature,) and go under the get maps tab. Under that tab you can select and area and download more specific "tiles" Maps of the area you choose.
    This is handy when you zoom in when using the map, and it brings out WAY more detail that is not otherwise seen.

You can create tracks in this tab as well.

If the pipe line camp is still in there at the parsnip bridge you will have lots and lots of traffic I believe it was a 1200 person camp so no small venture in there. You should have an off road radio especially through the canyon no room to pass in there!