Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear derby 2021!

Re: Bear derby 2021!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    I would love to participate. Admittedly, my hunting partner has not field dressed bear and I have not hunted before. We really need an experienced hunter. Our rifles are sighted, PALS certified, we have bear tags, and we have a truck along with necessary equipment. My buddies friend lacks communication skills, so we had to cancel Harrison this week, which disappointed me extremely.
    We would like to go May 14-16 and/or May Long and take an extra weekday off either of those weekends.
    Gas on us and we would discount your butcher portion.
    Please let me know ASAP. Feel free to DM for more questions and info. I can attach my sighted shots at 100 yards.
    I am totally sincere. Thank-you
    mentioning where you’re located might garner you some additional help, but I’m going to go out on a limb here and say the lower mainland

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    I would love to participate. Admittedly, my hunting partner has not field dressed bear and I have not hunted before. We really need an experienced hunter. Our rifles are sighted, PALS certified, we have bear tags, and we have a truck along with necessary equipment. My buddies friend lacks communication skills, so we had to cancel Harrison this week, which disappointed me extremely.
    We would like to go May 14-16 and/or May Long and take an extra weekday off either of those weekends.
    Gas on us and we would discount your butcher portion.
    Please let me know ASAP. Feel free to DM for more questions and info. I can attach my sighted shots at 100 yards.
    I am totally sincere. Thank-you
    I have shot alot of bears down there..its actually feild dress like a deer common sense man dont pop sacks..ypur welcome to come up this way and shoot then call me i will do no problem...but use common sense its not that scary..i can clean a bear in 6min and skin in 15...just packing him solo is the shits.

You guess correctly. Sorry, I assumed 'Harrison' suggested that. It would be within coastal/lower mainland region

UPDATE;

Alright guys, pleasantly surprised with how well received this has been both for people interested in participating and those who are generous enough to want to contribute!

so let me start by saying thanks to
    Great North Precision- for matching my first prize $200 GC
    Walks with Deer- for ALSO matching my first prize $200 GC
    Hugh Man- for an additional $100 gift card

I am still in communications with a couple more members working on locking down details on a couple more interesting prizes, including two for youth hunters 10-17, once I have the logistics of these ironed out I will update with that as well.

with that being said, what started as a fun little instigation to get people out of the house and outdoors, has grown into quite a bit more..
    I had several members message me with concerns most of which I thought were valid, so I have inquired with a few of the long-standing members here to get their input on the most fair way to accurately judge the entries for consistency and fairness, just know if you enter a submission in the next day or two (currently Friday night) then some details may be subject to change, from my discussions so far it looks like rounding to the nearest (undetermined amount) and if there are any ties, then do a draw and have someone uninvolved draw on video for transparency. Obviously if there is a stand out winner, this will not need to be done but I believe it is the most fair way to do this without having one person measure each skull which isn’t possible.

I am going to do my best to get up a picture tomorrow night, albeit with an old dry skull.. but it’ll still show the way we feel will be the most accurate and easy to achieve for everyone.

that being said, currently we are looking at;

3 adult prizes for largest skull
    1 adult prize for fattest bear

1 youth prize for fattest bear.
    1 youth prize for largest skull.

I am going to give the members I reached out to both for prizes and council until Sunday AM, at which point I will edit the thread again with the final prizes and conditions and they won’t change again from then on, anyone that gets a bear prior if you can freeze the skull until then great, if not send me an email and I walk you through what we are thinking.
    Last edited by RyoTHC; 04-30-2021 at 10:38 PM.

Another way to approach this is to not give prizes for the largest whatever....
    Use the hidden weight/measurement prize system.

Give out more prizes of lesser value.
    Less incentive to cheat and more winners.

This will eliminate much of the ugly stuff than competitions often attract.

First hunt of the year today, found 3 bears and plenty of sign.. now is not the time to hesitate, the big boys waiting for one of ya!

Walking Buffalo, you make a good point as well.. I appreciate all the input I’m getting just as much as the generosity.. if this goes well, it may just be an annual thing.

Was onto a winner today. Spotted him 1600m off from our glassing perch. He was walking a new logging road. It looked like he was going to continue down to the valley floor so we tried to cut him off but he must have had other plans. One of the largest black bears I have seen in the area. Dark chocolate brown with a light tan nose. Stud of a bear.

Things are still pretty brown in that spot and he was the only bear spotted today. Might try and go back tomorrow or next week.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Good luck everyone, and have fun.

Please for the love of god keep the grip and grins off facebook and instagram. The provincial anti hunting lobby has been gaining significant momentum recently with this 'social license to hunt' bullshit and if they caught wind of this friendly competition there will be hell to pay. We as hunters can bitch and moan about these anti's as much as we like, and the fact that this hunt is perfectly legal and within our rights, but thats only for now. Theres no telling how the media would portray this bounty hunt on black bears in this day and age, and people in the big shitty are the ones who own a significant amount of political capital. I hope everyone can be discrete and respectful towards our future hunting rights.

Firstly, I’ll completely agree with the last post.. please leave all submissions to this, off of any social media aside from this forum.. what we are doing is completely legal and ethical but bloody grip and grind on facebook do none of us justice.

Now onto the good stuff.... please read the original post in its entirety again as lord has changed due to members input and suggestions.

Currently available for submissions:

2 Open (Youth or adult) prizes for largest skull -
    #1 $300 Great north precision gift card
    #2 100$ Great north precision gift card
    1 Open ( Youth or adult) prize for longest bear -
    #1 $200 Great north precision gift card
    1 Open (Youth or adult) prize for fattest spring bear-
    #1 $100Great north precision gift card

1 Youth(10-17) prize for largest skull-
    #1Skull cleaning(beetles) and a Damascus skinning knife.
    1 Youth(10-17) prize for longest bear-
    #1$100 gift card to Nechako Outdoors.

Now also keep in mind that these prizes could potentially increase as members ive been in contact with get back to me, but this will be the base line.

I will stop taking entires via this thread July 10 2021.
    Prizes will be sent via Email or mailed by July 15 2021.

Judges have been confirmed as well,

we will have the following;

1)IronNog
    2) Srupp
    3)Foxtonn gundogs

I appreciate that they have agreed to help, and hopefully utilizing long term upstanding members that their decisions on winners won’t be questioned or seconded guessed.