Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Mountain Goat Meat

Re: Mountain Goat Meat

Strange, my goat was not tough at all, but it was a young one in first week of October.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Killed a 10 yr old Billy Nov. 5th, aka the rut.... Nice flavour, and to be expected chewy. That's fine it's all about preparation and a but of creativity. Cubes for stew and curries, loins for jerky. Don't think about steaks, instead schnitzel, Ginger beef, goulash.... Mmmmm I am getting hungry as I type.

Thanks everyone for your in put! I really appreciate it!

I’ve decided I’m going to put in for a goat tag this season. At the very least it will a great adventure and a learning experience if I’m lucky enough to draw a tag. A lot of good ideas for preparation. I already make my own sausage and have a pretty good stew recipe. If I mange to get a goat I’ll definitely be trying some curries and skewers!

Thanks again for all your help!

I have taken 2 Goats. Both were ground and the meat is excellent. It is very tough otherwise and i would shoot a 3rd in a heartbeat and grind it as well.Nothing like Goat Burgers and Beers with the fellas.

A little fleshing before salting and rolling, and then enjoying a little fruit of our labour over hot coals of a dying fire. So tasty!!!

^^^^^ looks like fine dining to me!!

Not one of my favorite meats, but its alright. I've had some thats been really chewy, but I've also had that with old moose.

Edit to add....I've had 3, 5 and 7 year old goat

It has a mild taste. I do a lot of sausage/burger/etc with it for the most part.
    Last edited by Rackmastr; 04-29-2021 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    It would be helpful in determining the culinary quality if the age of the animal was included.
    Lots of replies say the meat tastes good but is tough.
    Was this a two year or eight year old animal?

It could be that most of these reports of tough goat meat is simply due to the age of the animal, which is no different from other species of game.
    Not necessarily untrue, but my experience with 4 different animals from2.5 to 9 years age is that they’re all pretty tough compared to other game. A different taste that like some have said can be very good, especially if a bit of effort is put into the preparation.

TJ

Delicious, the fat is good too.

Thanks again everyone for all the great info and inspiration!

Stay safe out there and good luck I the LEH!