Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mountain Goat Meat

Re: Mountain Goat Meat

Young billy we shot in late august was delicious. Tenderloins we grilled right away with spices over the fire, one of my favourite mountain meals ever. Have not tried an older billy

Arrow Re: Mountain Goat Meat

Buy a pressure cooker, grinder & sausage stuffer and you'll be fine.

Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

only got one goat and it was low fat tight grain made nice skewers cubed up and bbq'd with veg..the rest was mostly stews and curries

It would be helpful in determining the culinary quality if the age of the animal was included.
    Lots of replies say the meat tastes good but is tough.
    Was this a two year or eight year old animal?

It could be that most of these reports of tough goat meat is simply due to the age of the animal, which is no different from other species of game.

The day of my buddies goat kill (not a huge billy but a mature animal), we did fresh goat tenderloin and rainbow trout (mountain surf and turf) over the fire. Goat was great with nothing more than a light sprinkle of steak spice. But I must admit, the location (12km from any road) made the meal that much nicer and one of the most memorable Ive had.

Flavour of all the goat meat was really good and as for tenderness, meat cuts of the goat were not as nice as a young elk or whitetail, but better than a couple mature bull elk Ive eaten.

Like others have said, work well in any ground recipe(bbq mountain burgers were a huge hit at work). Made some grest kabobs and stews.

If one is after filling the freezer, there are easier animals that arguably better table fare but if you factor in the challenge of getting a goat and the experience of being up in their country, can't beat it.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 04-28-2021 at 12:51 PM.

My hunting partner and I harvested a goat last fall early September. We heard from other hunters that the meat is really good and heard so many people rave about it. Personally I would have rather taken my boot off and cooked that to eat lol. Didn't enjoy it but still ate it. It was aged at 9 years tho. We both thought it was an ongoing joke between goat hunters to say that the meat is so good so that other people will go goat hunting to endure the hard work it takes to get them or that goat hunters are just so hungry after the climbing and hiking that anything would be delicious haha.

Regardless It was one of the most fun and exciting hunts I've been on. They truly are awesome creatures and the terrain they live in is incredible. I would say definitely try it out for yourself! Either way you're in for an incredible adventure.

I do believe we just harvested an "off" goat but either way I am putting in for a draw again this year and figure its only fair to give it another shot because I'm not convinced.

For the record until I try it again, I still do believe it's an ongoing inside joke between goat hunters that the meat is so dam good that they say that because of the work that goes into harvesting them. So for that reason when someone asks me "is it good?" I respond with "best meat ever" "go try it for yourself" lol because it was alot of hard work.

Definitely go and give it a shot! Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    It would be helpful in determining the culinary quality if the age of the animal was included.
    Lots of replies say the meat tastes good but is tough.
    Was this a two year or eight year old animal?

It could be that most of these reports of tough goat meat is simply due to the age of the animal, which is no different from other species of game.
    IME goat is tough irregardless of age. Personally ate goats from 3-12 year olds if that helps.

The two goats I shot were old. Meat was as tuff as ever. Tasted ok.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Never had goat i didnt like but all have been before october

Young billy I shot in 2019 was very good I thought. Mild, but unique flavour. Meat was definitely tougher than some other wild game. A chef friend of mine made a mind-blowingly good Moroccan Curry with a shoulder cut.