Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Mountain Goat Meat

Re: Mountain Goat Meat

I've eaten from a lot of goats (16+) and think they have a unique but awesome flavor, also really like the flavor of the fat as quite mild and if you like organ meat their heart and liver are to die for. All the ones I've eaten from were shot in August, September, October or February. I make steak (thin cut) out of all the primes and sometimes pound into cutlets. The trim I like for stew meat and burger, although really good in curries I find the curry masks the unique flavor so tend not to do so. However I had some meat from one my buddy harvested in the Stikine on a summer hunt and it tasted like sage brush and was quite strong but made delicious curries.

The gravy is even tough on those buggers

I liked the couple I’ve had. Mild tasting but some cuts can be tough. Totally worth it and worth the hunt
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

yup. Excellent meat. I got a late November Billy.
    There is a smell to it that burns off. The meat is very good. My wife likes it as well.

Nothing beats mountain goat, some mixed spices and butter on day 8 of sheep hunting cooked on a piece of shale.... well I guess sheep would beat it ��

Last edited by madcalfe; 05-18-2021 at 06:57 PM.

Thanks everyone!

A lot of great info! Like I said, the tag I’m applying for is close to home (pretty much right in my backyard) and I’ve already been spotting goats! I’m getting pretty excited. Fingers crossed for the LEH.

Thanks again and keep the awesome pictures coming!

Mountain goat meat is very delicious if cooked right. I use my Uncles recipe and it works great every time. Cut Mt Goat in cubes and put in boiling water with a fist sized rock. Boil steady and when you can stick a fork in the rock the goat is done. You're welcome