Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Processing Bear Meat

Re: Processing Bear Meat

Do you need to freeze your bear meat for 30 days before butchering? I've heard it's best to do this, my cousin mentioned something about trichinosis or rigor mortis? I just brought my meat to the butcher 3 hrs after we had loaded it in the truck and it was going to hang in cold temps for a few days and then get butchered. Will this change the taste?
    Last edited by walker1985; 05-04-2021 at 03:42 PM.

I have never even heard of freezing the bear for 30 days prior to butchering. With me, it's either been cut and wrap myself, same day/day after or bring to the butcher, where depending on volume, he hangs it for up to a week.

I honestly haven't noticed a taste or texture difference between either one, bears are just damn tasty in general.

As for trich, cook the meat clean through like chicken or pork and you'll be fine.

My bears are always ground into hamburger and frozen or further processed into sausage.

It's not a premium meat that warrants special care.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Any thoughts on taking belly for bacon? Wouldn’t mind throwing some some on the ole Trager
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

Quote Originally Posted by RugDoctor View Post
    Any thoughts on taking belly for bacon? Wouldn’t mind throwing some some on the ole Trager
    I've always been curious about this too and wonder if a fall bear would make better bacon.

Pork bacon is one of the top 3 things I make on my Traeger, no matter how much I make I'm always out.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Okay it used to be the rule to freeze for 30 days to kill Trichinosis, but apparently that is not foolproof and you need to cook it thoroughly like Hugh Mann mentioned . No eating it medium rare or less . If I’m not mistaken Caddids Guy knows quite a bit about the topic !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

I have 2 bellies set aside in the freezer to try making bear bacon. I also have 4 hip roasts for making hams. My smoker will be good to go in July. Then it can get hot enough to smoke right. I process next day. It makes no difference how long you wait for bear, deer and moose. It is not tough beef!!
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

hmm did try bacon from bear..i must of screwed it up...friend tried it loved it..lol i gave all i made to him..
    good luck Tiggr
    srupp

It's a different kind of trichinosis from pork. Freezing pork eliminates it, not so with bears.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Okay it used to be the rule to freeze for 30 days to kill Trichinosis, but apparently that is not foolproof and you need to cook it thoroughly like Hugh Mann mentioned . No eating it medium rare or less . If I’m not mistaken Caddids Guy knows quite a bit about the topic !
    Arctic Lake

As above, the 30 days doesn't work for bears, only pigs. It also has to be alot colder then a residential freezer will go, it has to be a commercial freezer.

I tried to age a bear a couple of years ago, it was a disaster. The meat was on ice within 4 hours of being shot, in a fridge within 24 hours and after more then a week in the fridge at 1 degree celcius the fat started to go rancid. Meat was fine aging nicely, but ruined by the rancid fat.