Thread: Crabbng Grounds near Lower Mainland

Crabbng Grounds near Lower Mainland

Just throwing it out there, only really crabbed Tsawwassen in the old days, in fact haven't put a crab trap in for 25 years! Looking is there any spots one can go for the day with a 12ft boat, drop some traps, have a fire and a few beers?
    I'm sure everything has been hammered but just thought I would ask?
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Crabbng Grounds near Lower Mainland

As i said in the other post, you can go with a small boat like zodiac or 12ft aluminum.
    Buddies can help lift and carry if tide is out "somewhat".
    Just not a great spot for bigger boats to launch unless you have high tide.
    Same down in boundary bay beach...EXCEPT" when it is low tide, you aint going to get a 12ft in or out at that point.
    Ferry side, the launch is also affected, just not like in the bay.

Think beginning of May, there is a low tide early in the mornings and flood by afternoon.
    that might be the best time with a 12ft.
    Then you know when you have enough to launch and no worries landing.

Not sure which way crabbing is best, going from low to hi tide or other way around.
    My preference was low to high.
    But others like the opposite.

Although not really anywhere to have a fire and some beers crabbing is quite good in English Bay. You can launch at Vanier Park and head out along the mile markers, find your depth you want and drop them. Crabbing is usually pretty consistent along the mile markers out to the Bell Buoy or amongst the freighters etc. Just be forewarned that those freighters do sway with the tides and could take out your floats if you place them too close.

Just watch your weather and definitely keep an eye on your traps as the theft of traps is rampant in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    As i said in the other post, you can go with a small boat like zodiac or 12ft aluminum.
    Buddies can help lift and carry if tide is out "somewhat".
    Just not a great spot for bigger boats to launch unless you have high tide.
    Same down in boundary bay beach...EXCEPT" when it is low tide, you aint going to get a 12ft in or out at that point.
    Ferry side, the launch is also affected, just not like in the bay.

Think beginning of May, there is a low tide early in the mornings and flood by afternoon.
    that might be the best time with a 12ft.
    Then you know when you have enough to launch and no worries landing.

Not sure which way crabbing is best, going from low to hi tide or other way around.
    My preference was low to high.
    But others like the opposite.
    Thanks for all the info Bugle!!! Appreciate it!
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Quote Originally Posted by MB_Boy View Post
    Although not really anywhere to have a fire and some beers crabbing is quite good in English Bay. You can launch at Vanier Park and head out along the mile markers, find your depth you want and drop them. Crabbing is usually pretty consistent along the mile markers out to the Bell Buoy or amongst the freighters etc. Just be forewarned that those freighters do sway with the tides and could take out your floats if you place them too close.

Just watch your weather and definitely keep an eye on your traps as the theft of traps is rampant in the area.
    Thanks for the feedback MB! Appreciate it!