Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I love this site, except that pictures and videos can't be loaded or loaded easily

I love this site, except that pictures and videos can't be loaded or loaded easily

It's 2021. This is a hunting website. Everyone wants to see pictures and videos. I have some cool videos (at least I think so) that I'd like to share. But I'm not going to post on YouTube, then add a link. I'm not posting on Facebook, then adding a link. I would post here for other fellow hunters, but since videos can't be posted.... And people wonder why people aren't posting more images. I think I'll buy some VHS tapes and cassette tapes to go along with the Hunting BC website.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: I love this site, except that pictures and videos can't be loaded or loaded easil

Agree . . . . really a stoneage procedure to post pics here.

Re: I love this site, except that pictures and videos can't be loaded or loaded easil

Quote Originally Posted by fishhunt;[URL="tel:2254758"
    2254758[/URL]]It's 2021. This is a hunting website. Everyone wants to see pictures and videos. I have some cool videos (at least I think so) that I'd like to share. But I'm not going to post on YouTube, then add a link. I'm not posting on Facebook, then adding a link. I would post here for other fellow hunters, but since videos can't be posted.... And people wonder why people aren't posting more images. I think I'll buy some VHS tapes and cassette tapes to go along with the Hunting BC website.

lol, I’ve been saying that for years, I’ve tried and tried but just gave up trying...too bad the owner doesn’t step up or if it’s a cash issue I’m sure many would donate?
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

I use imgur.

can only use it with my macbook that doesn't charge properly anymore tho. Can't figure it out with my phone

I agree with the OP

To clarify, I'm not disparaging the site. I appreciate all the work that goes into it by the people behind the scenes. I know porting all this content to another site would be extremely difficult and probably costly. I'm sure most people on here would be happy to pay (me included). Maybe just a new site without historical content? I'll be happy to start a new thread like, "Best binos under $500". Or info on various hunting areas. Who really cares about the moose population from zone X in 2008 anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    I use imgur.

can only use it with my macbook that doesn't charge properly anymore tho. Can't figure it out with my phone

I agree with the OP
    safari
    1-Post your pics on the imgur app
    2-go to imgur.com
    3-click the two Aa at the top left in the address bar
    4-request desktop site
    5- click the bubble in the top right with your letter name in it
    6- click images
    7- double click the image you want
    8- when a larger image pops up with links on the right side. Copy bbc code.
    9- paste to huntingbc

It may seem like a lot, but it’s actually really easy and quick. I made a thread on this recently and it got swept away pretty quickly.

No videos though. I think YouTube might be the only answer for that
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

It's not hard to use other platforms to post vids / pics and link them in.

What other "Forums" are easier to post / pics vids in? Tech giants aside (Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, etc) are there other forums where you can have an app and just upload or drag / drop stuff?

You are onto something with regard to the cost. If you took all the pics / vids linked on here, it would be many TB worth of data to store, let alone be backed up. I work in the hosting industry, so I know the price tag on that... between the storage, backup, bandwidth, etc. You're talking several thousand dollars a month.

Perhaps if people who want such things banded together than contributed the money to pay the ongoing expense, things could be slightly different with direct uploads, at least with pics. Video formats get complicated to be able to support all formats... licenses likely needed for software too.

Personally I like HBC more than the tech giant platforms because it is story centric. FB/IG just seems like too many here today gone tomorrow posts chalk full of pics, vids and no stories, like "hey everyone. shot this guy around 7pm yesterday, hope I get likes of likes" ... I just scroll on by thinking "uhh yeah ok, seen more than a few dead bears.... that all it's about now? dead bear pics and likes? story would be nice?"

Sure could also toss this site and move it over to a Facebook group or something, but that's already saturated with dozens of hunting related groups of the low attention span variety and the censorship is off the charts... talk about guns, censored/banned, people are even getting sent to facebook jail for saying things like "holy, that's one fat sow" (in reference to a large female bear) and getting their posts deleted by the censors. That's why I like HBC. It's not part of all hardcore / mainstream social media stuff designed by tech giants to cater to attention spans of fruit flies.

HBC is the real meat and potatoes of hunting relating content and most importantly "thought" content in BC and I respect it by taking the extra 5 seconds to upload the pic/vid on imgur / youtube and just post the link. Seems to work just fine. Lots of members have IG / YouTube feeds and post pics/vids there, share them here. Super easy.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 05-18-2021 at 12:24 AM.

I use PostImage to upload and post pictures. It takes less than a minute and is free. There are other platforms out there that are just as easy.

https://postimages.org/

I’ve never understood the issue people have with posting pictures. Maybe it’s just a test to see if you are worthy of having the power...

I don't know much about the topic other than I use the same method to post pics and videos here that I do at CGN which is the only other forum I really participate in.

The process is pretty straightforward I think. Upload pics to a hosting site or the HBC gallery, click the "insert image" button and paste the link. I've even uploaded directly from my phone to a thread although the image quality isn't as good.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Amen to that, you look far enough back you see some posts on Noah building the ark.
    I also want to put a pic up as well,
    I put the cat in self defence post up yesterday and wanted to share a couple of pics, but it’s bloody impossible.

HOW CAN WE GET THIS BUG FIXED ?

Quote Originally Posted by fishhunt View Post
    It's 2021. This is a hunting website. Everyone wants to see pictures and videos. I have some cool videos (at least I think so) that I'd like to share. But I'm not going to post on YouTube, then add a link. I'm not posting on Facebook, then adding a link. I would post here for other fellow hunters, but since videos can't be posted.... And people wonder why people aren't posting more images. I think I'll buy some VHS tapes and cassette tapes to go along with the Hunting BC website.