Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Essential Status

Re: Hunting Essential Status

How can we organize to her this amended. It sounds like the government is still ironing out the details, given they pushed the start date back.

I just wrote a quick letter to the BCWF asking if and what their plans are to get hunting added. Maybe others on here could do the same to get them working on our behalf?

link: https://bcwf.bc.ca/contact/

any other ideas? Time to get loud. Scary precedent.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew5 View Post
    How can we organize to her this amended. It sounds like the government is still ironing out the details, given they pushed the start date back.

I just wrote a quick letter to the BCWF asking if and what their plans are to get hunting added. Maybe others on here could do the same to get them working on our behalf?

link: https://bcwf.bc.ca/contact/

any other ideas? Time to get loud. Scary precedent.

OK, this link is, as I understand it, 5 days old, so it's current (or as current as I can find).

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/c...ord=businesses

Hunting is deemed essential already.

BCWF was instrumental in getting that designation last year.

Subsequent to that the government has stated, various times, that while hunting is essential, travelling to hunt renders hunting recreational. There is a great argument to be made that the government has made a BS decision, but unless I'm very much mistaken there isn't a new interpretation: hunting is essential is you don't need to travel, but recreational if you do need to travel. No, "travel" has not been defined.

BCWF has talked to government about this. I think everyone needs to understand that government is using the definition as a simple work around, they understand what they're doing and they're choosing to restrict travel for hunters, despite ruling that hunting is essential, because it helps them on a number of other issues.

You can wrote a letter to BCWF, or...just going out on a limb here....you could join the BCWF AGM which is currently underway and just ask the question directly to the Board, exec and attending members.

BCWF has no plans to get hunting added to the list of essential services - *because it already is on that list*. We got it put on the list.

I will be in 2 meetings with Wildlife Branch next week and we will bring this up.

Call your MLA. If you can't call, email them. The issue is that while hunting is essential, travel to hunt renders it recreational, and there is no definition of how far you can travel.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey

Of course, the best way to organize to get these rules changed is to get loud, join a hunting conservation group like BCWF, WSS or BHA, and get involved as a volunteer.

I say join all three and commit to volunteer to contact your elected reps and commit to reading from the same song sheet as the rest of the people doing it.

Then recruit your buddies.

The same message, repeated frequently, by a lot of people, will improve things.
    Rob Chipman

I emailed my local MLA this morning and I plan on calling next week to follow up.
    There was never any good old days
    They are today, they are tomorrow
    It's a stupid thing we say
    Cursing tomorrow with sorrow

The government is hiding behind the emergency act( or what ever their calling it) which pretty much gives them the ability to do whatever they want. It’s all bullshit. Like others said, the only way to have any chance of changing things is to get numbers and get loud.

You guys got it all wrong. I travel for medical purposes. Hunting is directly connected to my mental health. I am sure medical travel is essential.... JUst sayin....

IronNoggin posted an updated link a couple days ago. Hunting, whether for food or recreation, has just recently been re-classified as "non-essential". My earlier comments on the status were incorrect (thx again, Nog for posting that info).

I'm not saying go or no go. Just providing the update.
    Rob Chipman

Are you sure Rob?

or is it the “travel” aspect of hunting or fishing?
    CCFR member

I understand it as you can go hunt and fish but you have to stay within your zone. They want to keep us LML'ers like me confined to this area so we're not spreading the bug to the interior or the Island. I sure hope it helps because I was planning ready to chase bears and trout in May. Sure hoping they let us out on May 25th for good behavior.

Why should they let us out for good behaviour. We are supposed to live in a free country!!!!!!!!

Time to start pushing back this china virus crap is total bs and most sensible people know it.

I believe the majority have had enough unfortunately they are the silent majority because they are kept quiet by the government sponsored lackies at cbc and the rest of msn