Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your best, closes quarters, biggest caliber big game kill?

Question What is your best, closes quarters, biggest caliber big game kill?

It came to me while in the shower today, thinking back on this hunt from a few years back it was crazy how this hunt ended. I was anticipating a long shot but it didn't work out that way.

Ill start this off,

Mine is 43 yards with a 338 Lapua mag using 300gr Nosler AB on a bull moose it only broke one rib and no exit wound but when butchering I never found the bullet.

What's yours???

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What is your best, closes quarters, biggest caliber big game kill?

Both this year, either my moose at 8-10 yards with .308 in the thick stuff or my bear in wide open grass lands at sub 15 yards with my hunting buddy a few feet behind me in tow, again with .308. Both pretty much DRT.

20 yards, bull moose, 44 magnum model 94 Win, headshot....oh but then there was a camp raiding black bear at 5 yards in the dark with a 375 and a flashlight,,,almost forgot about him
    Last edited by .330 Dakota; 04-14-2021 at 09:22 PM.

Five years ago I was hunting a clearing on a slope where mulies often move between a feeding and bedding area. I was sitting facing uphill with my back to a tree when I noticed a doe off to my right, maybe 30 yards off. I was sitting still and was wearing camo, and despite that she saw me she didn't bolt. She kept looking at me, and then looking back behind me, down the slope. I slowly leaned to the side and looked down slope to see what she was looking at, and sure enough a buck was traveling up the hill, 15 yards off. I dialed my scope down to 4x, took the safety off, rolled to my stomach, and shot the buck from prone right in the brisket with my 300 WinMag. The buck turned to run down hill, but collapsed and rolled.

That 200 grain bullet at 15 yards turned the lungs to jelly -- an extremely ethical kill. Over gunned is under rated!
    A conservationist is an environmentalist with a gun.

Not sure about big caliber. I just shoot 150gr 30-06 and can't imagine a practical need for more than that.

I shot my nemesis bear from probably less than 10 yards and several other bears in the 10-20 yard range, deer with a bow (large caliber?) around 25 yards

6pt Bull Elk, 15 yards, 300 win mag, 200 gr.partition handload, to the bang ...... bull landed up side down antlers dug into the ground, couple of air steps. Never found the bullet, mid neck, through spine with exit. Full rut, terrific eating.
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Grizzly bear 10 yds 444 marlin, scary. Steve!

A black bear I shot while stalking it. About 40 yards or so. Shot it with the browning 300wsm.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

Last year. Jumped out of the truck and shot a spike whitetail at 20 yards with my SBL in 45/70.
    Bang flop. Very little damage.
    " We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards, that those who follow us and assess our record may see that our mark on the land was one of respect and love, not cruelty and disdain."

Robert B. Oetting

Proud BC Resident Hunter

Closest kills would both be wolves, charging in full bore to the call. One at 10 yards the other at 15, both chest shots. Next would be a bear a few years ago, my dog by my side in training. We snuck into 30-35 yards with grandads old mannlicher, gotta love iron sighted stalking rifles.