Thread: Smith River BC

Smith River BC

Hey Guys, I am looking at Smith River BC (7-53) for a possible Caribou/Moose hunt.
    Just wondering who has been in there as far as the old airport, and beyond, and how the hunting is, and the access, etc.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Smith River BC

Drove up there few years back around the 3rd or 4th of September its pretty closed in, there were probably 7 or 8 groups of hunters camped at the old airport. Didn't see any game but met some nice people we spent the night and continued on out way home.

Some of that area is now closed for moose hunting during the rut (Oct 1 - 15) if that is when you are thinking of going.

Quote Originally Posted by 2chodi View Post
    Some of that area is now closed for moose hunting during the rut (Oct 1 - 15) if that is when you are thinking of going.
    No, we were thinking Aug when Boo is open, moose was the bonus critter

Quote Originally Posted by .330 Dakota View Post
    No, we were thinking Aug when Boo is open, moose was the bonus critter
    Not exactly premium bou country.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    Not exactly premium bou country.
    I just watched a Steves Outdoor episode where they flew into a spot about 80-100km east of there, and it was all rolling tundra, big herd of boo, so I figured it might be the same there

i know that area well. lots of grouse on that road. lots of porcupines too for some reason. moose are not so common, but they get big there. There are a few stands along the road on places.
    fishing is good in the lakes. the airport is pretty grown in. Definitely not open tundra and ive never seen a bou in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by ccrcc View Post
    i know that area well. lots of grouse on that road. lots of porcupines too for some reason. moose are not so common, but they get big there. There are a few stands along the road on places.
    fishing is good in the lakes. the airport is pretty grown in. Definitely not open tundra and ive never seen a bou in that area.
    Awesome, thanks, saved me a lot of diesel fuel with this reply