Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do for work

Re: What do you do for work

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    FSR electrician and millwright. Im still trying to decide what I want to do when I grow up though.
    Dual ticket. Good for you. I considered going back and getting my millwright aswell. Do you find your getting better pay or do they ask you to pick a trade and stick to it. I have a few friends who are dual and they usually get asked to stay with one scope. Not sure why.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Have been running my own business, Steering Solutions for the last 20+ years. Having my own shop make it easy to work on all my Toys.

IT/computer guy.

Ticketed Millwright, then forestry tech then 30 years as a peace officer. Retired, had enough.
    Dana says:"That isn't me braggin', that is just me stating a fact."

Presently a commercial real estate banker. 20+ years experience in various divisions - all in banking.

Software Developer by day,
    swimwear model by night

1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    Dual ticket. Good for you. I considered going back and getting my millwright aswell. Do you find your getting better pay or do they ask you to pick a trade and stick to it. I have a few friends who are dual and they usually get asked to stay with one scope. Not sure why.
    I only got the millwright because there was an opportunity to get it. Way easier than electrical school too. As for hourly wages having 2 tickets isn't a big deal but having it on a resume and potentially being shortlisted for a job you want is the real benefit. I've also done a few night courses for PLCs, VFDs etc. but again just for the resume, it looks better when I can say that I have hands on experience doing all these different things and I supplement that with some extra basic knowledge classes.

Red seal HD Mechanic
    Morphed a drilling rig motorhand position into a HD Mechanic just before the Nov 1998 crash, bought a service truck and went to work in forestry.
    Eventually the call to return home to B.C. got to great, landed back on the coast and spent all my savings in 2 years trying to exist in Van.
    Found a spot for the family in the Boundary and never looked back
    Links

Other jobs along the road:
    Tireman
    Oilfield Wireline Operator
    Gas plant Salvage Tech
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

Mechanical Engineer (EIT) - I’m an ‘area manager’ for a port expansion project in Vancouver. I oversee a small team of engineers and architects tasked with designing the buildings for the project.
    I also dabble in dredging projects on the Fraser River (environmental compliance stuff and maintenance dredge planning).

I was a residential/commercial glazier for 5 years before I mustered up the brains and cash to get my engineering degree.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

I'm a retired fishing industry /marine journalist/salmon-herring packer crewman occasional gillnet deckhand.

I was a boom man in my first career out of school then worked on salmon seiners, crab and prawn boats too.