Thread: Sow vs Boar

Sow vs Boar

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Sow vs Boar

Hopefully this pandemic ends next spring. If anyone makes a vacation to Manitoba next spring, you can join me on a bear hunt!

Definitely a good video. This video further highlights the difficulty of judging sex in bc though. We don’t shoot bears over bait, so no barrels to compare height to. We need to judge height based on surroundings, which is very difficult. Also, a lot of the bears I have harvested are in second growth, out in a slash where you can’t see their ankles, making that tip difficult as well. I honestly think black bears in bc are the hardest animal hands down to judge size and sex. I have harvested close to 20 bears out here and still feel very hesitant about judging size and sex out here.

Do you have any tips based on what I just explained? Or anyone else that hunts primarily in bc where it’s spot and stalk?

thank you very much for the video! I feel like I learned quite a bit more.

I've hunted bears in BC a couple times, but back when I was inexperienced. It's definitely very tough, especially if you are shooting them over 100 yards. This past fall I was moose hunting in northern Manitoba. We had a couple bear sightings, and could tell when they were small or big, BUT all the bear sightings were less than 70 yards.

If I were to hunt BC again or anywhere I couldn't bait I'd keep all my shots within 100 yards or so, unless I was absolute certain that it's a boar and I was happy with the size. I'm guessing you are going to have to rely more on head composition and shoulder to hindquarter ratio. It appears sows will have smaller shoulders and be heavy in the rear with a angled belly line. Boars will have a flat belly line, except when they are in their prime and may have a paunch but these are no doubters and much easier to judge if you actually see one. The real old mature boars will then lose body weight and go back to that flat belly line.

I hope this helps, these are just my thoughts and how I would go into hunting out in BC. Lord willing I'll be able to get to hunt bears with my father one more time.

Quote Originally Posted by rattling_junkie View Post
    Hopefully this pandemic ends next spring. If anyone makes a vacation to Manitoba next spring, you can join me on a bear hunt!
    give me a couple years and I’ll be selling my house here and transferring to Manitoba.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    give me a couple years and I’ll be selling my house here and transferring to Manitoba.
    I'll have a bait all primed up for you!