Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What is your best, closes quarters, biggest caliber big game kill?

Re: What is your best, closes quarters, biggest caliber big game kill?

put an arrow into a large VI black bear and he saw me
    Zeroed in and came at me.
    I had a short Cooey single shot on my back with a 1 oz 12 guage slug up the pipe on my back
    Had just enough time to drop the bow get it out and hammer him in the white spot and drop him at 10 yards
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington

about 4 body lengths- fall 2020

recovered from the neck
    Semper in excretum altum

6-8’, Zipped an arrow through a cow elk

Actually I have taken several big game up close over the years. Mostly with bow. But the closest for me with rifle was a large black bear at only 2 feet. 308 Winchester. I could probably reach out and pet the bear with my hand. It did not know I was there. Still as a statue.
    Always EXPECT the UNEXPECTED!

Closest was a black tail deer at about 5 yards. Shot him in the neck with a .308 pushing a 180grain Accubond. No exit, no bullet fragments found. I shoot copper bullets now.

Largest caliber was last year's 6x6 Elk at 17 yards w/ my 338ss. My hunting partners were about a mile away calling and I'd followed tracks into the woods, sat at the base of a tree, and started cow calling. Surveying the area, it had been heavily torn up by elk and was thick and I realized if I shot something and it ran, I probably wouldn't find it, so I'd just keep shooting til it was down. After awhile this big boy materialized out of no where bugling and thrashing the brush and trees. I actually had a WTF moment of if this thing came at me I was screwed. It took a few moments to positively ID 6 points, but once I did, I double lunged him and as he spun I racked another round and hit him in the shoulder. He dropped right there. First bullet also clipped the top of the heart. Second bullet was found in the back offside ham, entered in the onside front shoulder. They were 235grain Hammer Hunters.

Favourite was a 15 yard black bear w/ a 6.5ss. I'd spotted him feeding at 350 yards. Plan was to use some contours to cut the distance to sub 100 yards. Only problem is, he fed straight at me and when I came over the rise, he 1/2 stood up at 10 yards. Ran off a few yards and then stood up fully to look at me. I had the crosshairs on his chest and as he started to drop he squared his shoulders up to me and I figured was coming at me, so I shot him in the chest. Destroyed the heart, damaged both lungs and severed the spine. Healthy exit. Again Hammer Hunters. I love these bullets. He piled up on his jaw and there was liters of blood pooling under him. Probably the most dramatic DRT I've seen.
    Last edited by tdot; 04-19-2021 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    This one is chambered in 9.5x57, aka .375 rimless nitro express. I’m down to my last 10-12 pieces of brass that came with the rifle. I’m going to have to learn how to size some more some day soon.

Yeah, hard to find ammo, but a good caliber.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

My partner shooting a behemoth of a black bear as it flew at him through the air with arms outstretched and mouth agape with teeth showing. Partner first shot didn't kill it and as we approached spot where bear had been standing it erupted from a small cluster of bushes it had been hiding in. If that bear had waited 5-10 seconds it would have nailed me as I was walking behind my buddy. 7' black bear weighing about 450 lbs. Curled up and hid like a kitten. Thank god my buddy reacted quick...lol. Blaeberry Valley near Golden BC.

My first big game animal. I spotted a black bear and his girlfriend. Went around a hill to intercept and ended up right between them. Had a short staring contest at 15 yards before he turned broadside. Shot through the heart with my 303 Brit.