Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your best, closes quarters, biggest caliber big game kill?

Re: What is your best, closes quarters, biggest caliber big game kill?

Quote Originally Posted by webley View Post
    Grizzly bear 10 yds 444 marlin, scary. Steve!
    Question,,,do you or did you feel under gunned with that cartridge?

1970 - a spike mule buck came out of the bush, looked at me and I shot him with a 30-06 at 12 paces.
    1980's - the sound of a stream killed our approach and shot a 2-point mule with the same 30-06 at nine paces.

Quote Originally Posted by RayHill View Post
    It came to me while in the shower today, thinking back on this hunt from a few years back it was crazy how this hunt ended. I was anticipating a long shot but it didn't work out that way.

Ill start this off,

Mine is 43 yards with a 338 Lapua mag using 300gr Nosler AB on a bull moose it only broke one rib and no exit wound but when butchering I never found the bullet.

What's yours???
    so all the lead were melted with the meat. That is why I have switched (again) to copper bullets for meat animals. My accubonds are for future grizzly hunt
    Life is too short and time goes too fast. Hunt, hunt, and hunt....

Quote Originally Posted by .330 Dakota View Post
    Question,,,do you or did you feel under gunned with that cartridge?
    Theirs nothing under gunned about a. 444

Quote Originally Posted by elker View Post
    so all the lead were melted with the meat. That is why I have switched (again) to copper bullets for meat animals. My accubonds are for future grizzly hunt
    No it got left behind in the gut pile. "Melted with the meat" thats funny.

300wm and 300wsm deer and several moose at 25 feet or less.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

I was hunting Mule Deer late November a few years back, I parked and walked in at about 3:30 in the afternoon with a cpl hours of light left, had about 3 inches of fresh snow on the ground, after only walking about 1.5k in light was starting to fading and it was snowing lightly,

as I started to work my way out I look to my left at about 15 yards there was an ear sticking out from a jack pine thicket, there was an opening of about 6 feet wide in the thicket, I blew slightly and sure enough out steps a doe and she looks at at me then looks to her right, she kept looking at me then to her right so I blew again, and sure enough on the left side of the opening a mass of Antlers and the face of a buck peaks around the trees at me and quickly pulls his head back in,

I was like woa that things huge and got a bit nervous........I scan the trees with my scope and pick up his face and , Antlers and throat patch he’s facing me so I give him one with the 7mm Weatherby in the throat, the doe runs off,

I load another shell and walk over there and he’s laying dead, he’s a heavy 4 point with cheaters and carried his mass throughout his Antlers but was as big as he first appeared, I quickly dress him and start dragging him in the snow

I can here the truck horn beeping, I guess my brother heard the shot and now being dark he was getting worried so I left the deer at the edge of the road and quickly hiked back to the truck......,this by far is my favourite deer to date as I sucked him in to look at me with calling otherwise I never would have seen him.

I shot him at 15 yards away.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

I cracked a 10 year old bull bison in the noggin at 10 yards once

4 pt mule deer at 3 yards twins came in hot they bum rushed our can calling he stopped one stont short of running us over took a leap broadside and it was his last one first deer after 3 years skunked it all came together like magic ... Almost glad buddy didnt get the second one the packout would have been brutal .300wm w a 180 barnes
    Last edited by 604Stalker; 04-15-2021 at 08:50 AM.

7 STW, 160 gr pill @~3150, 4 pt MD at about 10 paces
    One of those mornings with 5-6" of fresh snow so drop everything to go for a hunt. Stealthy walk into a piece of natural regen left in the corner of a larger block of 10' christmas trees
    Sitting on the knoll with a good view...........until the storm blew in. Cloud, fog, temp jumped up 0 deg, snow sleet then about 5 minutes of rain
    It was pretty severe so I figured the morning was done and started to head back to the truck.
    As the squall blew past the temperature dropped back down below freezing and the crust froze hard on the snow, every step sounded like dancing on bubble wrap.
    Now everything is clear calm but noisy so blew the grunt a few times as I made a larger loop back but still p/o'ed about conditions so not holding much hope.
    Then I heard what sounded like a vehicle on the road with all the crunching. Turned out to be two bucks coming in, grunting and dancing on the bubble wrap
    They stormed right in through the regen, no sightings at this point, then the first stuck his two point noggin out and kept walking
    I drew a bead on the opening waiting for the next buck.............
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

-6' Brown phase bear at 6 or 7 feet in the middle of a berry patch when he stepped up on the log I was standing on beside me, 264wm, only animal I have shot from the hip.
    -elk at 13 yards, 300 Ultra Mag
    -5 1/2' black bear, 18 inches off my toes, home made spear
    -6 1/2' brown phase black bear, 264wm, 4 feet with shot #6 between his ears (he started out 75-ish yards away, I happened to be standing in the wrong place once he stopped bouncing and lined out.)
    -5 1/2' black bear with Browning Mantis and 125gr muzzy, 30 inches off my finger tips
    -monster 5pt bull elk, epic miss at 4 yards with the same Browning/Muzzy combination (still haunted by that one.)
    -elk at 29 yards, 300 Ultra
    -coyote at 2' with Cold Steel Boar Spear, not exactly big game, but still damn impressive.
    -black bear sow at 7' almost straight up, 2 3/4" 00 buck (that one broke the railing on my deck when it fell out of the tree beside the house)

Undoubtedly more, but those are the ones that stand out at the moment.

Shot a coyote in the ass that was to busy mousing to see me at about 5 yards. 200 grain Partition out of the ‘06. Messy!