Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vancouver Island Drahthaar?

Vancouver Island Drahthaar?

Hey everyone

So following the loss of our dog to cancer in February, the wife and I have started to think hard about getting in line for a new pup. We are seriously considering a Drahthaar and are hoping that there is somebody around the mid island area that we could meet and ask some questions. My wife would love to actually meet an example of the breed and we would both like to talk about the training / testing / support network out there.

I guess the crux of it is, we are really close to making this call but want to be sure we are up to the challenge and commitment of training, etc.

Other things on the mind
    - My wife is a trail runner and is hopeful that whatever breed we choose will be able to accompany her on those runs
    - I am in a wheelchair so that will be a part of training and life (I don't think that will be an issue but...)
    - we have two older dogs in the house but I am assuming the usual puppy vs older dog stuff and nothing more to worry about

Ok - if you are somewhere on the island and up to help us make an informed call. Let me know
    Thanks
    Ben

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Vancouver Island Drahthaar?

Ben, I'm curious why you chose a Drahthaar? I only ask because you didn't mention hunting in your post, and the Drahthaar is bred for that purpose only. There are no show or pet stock DD's.
    They are a working breed with a high prey drive and are easily distracted by game scent in the water, field and forest.
    This isn't to deter you from the breed, but there needs to be a real commitment to obedience and regular physical and mental stimulation for them and you to be happy.

Feel free to pm me or jagen mit DDrs on here if you like.

Dan
    Last edited by huntingfamily; 04-14-2021 at 08:21 PM.

^^^^^ Good post!

As far as your wife wanting a dog that will run with her, you have to be careful with any breed of dog when getting into that activity before the pup's growth plates have fully closed (usually about a year for a medium to larger dog). It's fine for a pup to run BUT never on a leash where the runner is dictating the speed/pace, distance, and amount of time being run. A pup needs to run at its own pace, slowing and stopping when it needs to, and the distance needs to be built up slowly just like people starting out on any walk/run program.

If your wife can't take the pup to an off leash area she should wait until the pup/dog you choose to get is older.

Is your chair temporary or permanent? Are you Rick Hansen level on activity?

If not, you may have trouble meeting the criteria the breeders adhere to when placing their pups.

Every DD breeder I have spoken to are diligent with ensuring a high activity hunting home.
    The Pharmaceutical Industry is just as interested in World Health as the Arms Industry is in World Peace.

"We have two lives, and the second begins when we realize we only have one." -Confucius

DD are also dominant dogs, if you have passive older dogs, they will likely be in for a change in hierarchy when the fur ball grows.
    Agree with the above said, DD are grumpy to aggressive if not living at the needed activity level. Running 5-10k, 1h of water retrieving, and then a 10 bird evening hunt was a normal day.
    The 375 Ruger was improved the day it was necked down to 9.3 mm

PM me if you like ... I can fill you in.
    VDD GROUP CANADA
    BCWF
    BIGSLAPPER OUTDOOR ADVENTURES est. 1963
    www.bigslapper.com

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Odds are you're probably not going to get a sheep anyways. So you want to at least enjoy your time on the mountain. But not sexually.

Thanks everyone. Maybe a few clarifications

1) Hunting - I assumed based on where we are chatting that the hunting side was implied, rest assured that is the core intention but I wanted to be sure that I mentioned some of the other traits we were talking about as well.
    2) Wheelchair - The chair is permanent, I do marathons, spend most hunting season in the field and likely move more than most (though I don't wiggle my toes)
    3) Timing - highly aware of the need to wait before putting too much strain on the dog in terms of the activity.
    4) Training - this is part of the attraction. My wife has worked in the dog training world and we would both love to go through a structured process to get a hunting partner to where we have visualized but not achieved before.

I guess the ask right now is more based in helping us decide if we would be right for the breed and if the breed would be right for us.
    PMs incoming! more than a few questions

I have a German Wirehaired. I don't want to get into a pissing match about DD vs GWP. Her grandparents were DD's. Best dog I've ever had. But, she needs sooo much exercise. She's 6 and everyone thinks she's a year. Make sure you have jobs for it - or do hunting training and you'll be fine.

I'm in Vancouver and Kamloops. Happy to let you play with her anytime you like.

A couple of other versatiles you may want to check out are griffs and pudelpointers. Tough to go wrong with either one. Both make good waterfowl dogs as well as upland. They track fur, as well,,,,,, but it will be more difficult to find breeders out here on the west coast. Had to get my griff from Quebec.

A close friend of mine has a buddy he works with who is having another litter of GWPs soon. His last litter of pups fared very well! He lives in the Kootneys.

Sounds like a DD could be a viable option for your household. They also have an 'off switch' that is often bred out of the GWP. A lot of GWP breeders are focused on producing field trial dogs, not a close working hunting dog. There is a huge difference. So check out their bloodlines carefully.

Cooperation is bred into the DD, which may make training while sitting on your ass a bit more enjoyable.

A breeder will do their best to match your needs to a pup as they see their character develop. So be 100% open and accurate with all their questions on lifestyle.

I have new DD arriving 1st week of May.

Good luck with your decision.
    The Pharmaceutical Industry is just as interested in World Health as the Arms Industry is in World Peace.

"We have two lives, and the second begins when we realize we only have one." -Confucius