Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
That's looks amazing! Quite fitting for the topic of this thread, "time to hype up some bear hunters". If that picture doesn't do it, I don't know what will

I would really like to try doing something more with bear meat (other than ground) one of these days. Smoking isn't currently an option.

I do think I know what you mean by "stringy" with regard to ground. Sometimes I find it to have a more fibrous or even grainy texture compared to beef, but not always. I was never really sure what to attribute that to (ie: cooking, bits of silverskin, or it's just how the meat is) ... I did find the more picky I am about trimming and what goes in the grinder, the better the texture is. Could be all in my head though.

Lots of variety in a bear. I save the ribs and saw them into strips for baking in the oven, make roasts out of the big portions off the hinds, rolled roast of the meat filleted off the scapula and stew meat from nice chunks left over from bigger cuts. I have saved the whole lower back intact for a saddle roast. I also save the shanks as is for pressure cooking for meaty soup or baking in a clay pot as a sort of osso bucco. Every bone is saved and frozen for future soup. I skin out the paws and my wife makes braised bear paws. Render down the fat though spring bears are lean. Fall bears are better for the fat.