Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to hype up some bear hunters..

Re: Time to hype up some bear hunters..

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    That's looks amazing! Quite fitting for the topic of this thread, "time to hype up some bear hunters". If that picture doesn't do it, I don't know what will

I would really like to try doing something more with bear meat (other than ground) one of these days. Smoking isn't currently an option.

I do think I know what you mean by "stringy" with regard to ground. Sometimes I find it to have a more fibrous or even grainy texture compared to beef, but not always. I was never really sure what to attribute that to (ie: cooking, bits of silverskin, or it's just how the meat is) ... I did find the more picky I am about trimming and what goes in the grinder, the better the texture is. Could be all in my head though.

Lots of variety in a bear. I save the ribs and saw them into strips for baking in the oven, make roasts out of the big portions off the hinds, rolled roast of the meat filleted off the scapula and stew meat from nice chunks left over from bigger cuts. I have saved the whole lower back intact for a saddle roast. I also save the shanks as is for pressure cooking for meaty soup or baking in a clay pot as a sort of osso bucco. Every bone is saved and frozen for future soup. I skin out the paws and my wife makes braised bear paws. Render down the fat though spring bears are lean. Fall bears are better for the fat.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    That's looks amazing! Quite fitting for the topic of this thread, "time to hype up some bear hunters". If that picture doesn't do it, I don't know what will

I would really like to try doing something more with bear meat (other than ground) one of these days. Smoking isn't currently an option.

I do think I know what you mean by "stringy" with regard to ground. Sometimes I find it to have a more fibrous or even grainy texture compared to beef, but not always. I was never really sure what to attribute that to (ie: cooking, bits of silverskin, or it's just how the meat is) ... I did find the more picky I am about trimming and what goes in the grinder, the better the texture is. Could be all in my head though.
    The older the bear, the tougher/striny the meat will be, of course. I just go down a size on my grinding plate - problem solved.
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets...

Nice bears RYO! As per the stringy burger....I double grind and never noticed an issue. I do remove fat and gristle from the meat pre-grind though. Good luck to the bear hunters!

If things align I'm hoping to get out for a 4 day spring bear hunt (first time hunting them). I'd be happy to share the bear if someone isn't able to get out this year that does their own processing and can process mine as well. PM me if you're in the lower mainland.

cheers,
    BR
    forever noob

Quote Originally Posted by bcsteve View Post
    I find the grind kind of stringy, gives it a weird texture. It does make great summer sausages and pepperoni. Great hams too. Just smoked my last quarter from last years bear last week end.
    That looks really good, though a bit still raw.
    Did you cold smoke and how long?
    How do you make your brine?
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    That looks really good, though a bit still raw.
    Did you cold smoke and how long?
    How do you make your brine?
    Not raw at all. The redness is from the brine. Brined for 5days and smoked for about 10-12 hours. In the smoker at 180 for the first 8 hours and up to 200 until interior temperature is at 160.

Not raw at all. The redness is from the brine. Brined for 5days and smoked for about 10-12 hours. In the smoker at 180 for the first 8 hours and up to 200 until interior temperature is at 160.

OK thanks, can you post your brine recipe?
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    OK thanks, can you post your brine recipe?
    Oops, sorry, I missed that part. I have to admit, it’s the brine recipe from The Meateater cookbook. It recommends, and that’s what I did, to use a syringe to inject the brine in the muscles daily.

Last edited by bcsteve; 04-15-2021 at 07:50 PM.

Mmmm. That looks delicious !!!!
    two weeks and counting until I drag my ass out and start looking.. going to be picky this year so I can use bear hunting as an excuse to get into better shape for chasing elk through the mountains this fall.

Oops, sorry, I missed that part. I have to admit, it’s the brine recipe from The Meateater cookbook. It recommends, and that’s what I did, to use a syringe to inject the brine in the muscles daily.

Thanks, I will make that if I get a bear.
    WLM

Flush the Turd!