Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Time to hype up some bear hunters..

Re: Time to hype up some bear hunters..

I don't know; with the price of gas, travel restrictions and my wife eating less and less meat I hardly need one this year. Still eating deer meat from 2018.

Bought a tag though.

This is my 45th year buying tags. Got my first bear in 1976.
    Last edited by MichelD; 04-21-2021 at 07:28 PM.

Absolutely gorgeous weather for bears. Out doing some shooting, fresh greens everywhere, dandelions. I half expected to see a bear on my way out.
    Yup, I am very much looking forward to this May, have to one up the big sum' bitch I shot last spring.

Hope you have a winch and or chains when heading out for bear. Its a long walk out to find someone to pull you out.
    Most roads around me should be closed. They are bringing in rig mats to cover the really bad spots. Still places your axle levels out the ruts. The local roads are ripped to shreds.
    Weird wet fall weather froze in before it dried up. Now with the thaw going full steam ahead it is soft for 2 feet down. I can sink a 3 inch sapling into our ruts down 2 feet with little effort.
    Still some piles of snow around. Lots in the shaded bush. Buy a good winch.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    Hope you have a winch and or chains when heading out for bear. Its a long walk out to find someone to pull you out.
    Most roads around me should be closed. They are bringing in rig mats to cover the really bad spots. Still places your axle levels out the ruts. The local roads are ripped to shreds.
    Weird wet fall weather froze in before it dried up. Now with the thaw going full steam ahead it is soft for 2 feet down. I can sink a 3 inch sapling into our ruts down 2 feet with little effort.
    Still some piles of snow around. Lots in the shaded bush. Buy a good winch.

makes me happier than ever that I bought a quad for last years LEH, time to enjoy some bear hunting and playing in the mud in the sunshine haha

thanks for the heads up though! Looks like I’ll be Parking the truck for the first few weeks.

out of curiosity have you got any rain in your area this spring or is it all the thaw? Locally zero rain since last fall, and it seems relatively dry but I haven’t ventured to far back into the mountains.
    Last edited by RyoTHC; 04-22-2021 at 10:31 PM.

Rain 3 or 4 days next week. Maybe it will fill in the ruts and the humps will slough down levelling out the road. Ya that's what I think too.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Hmm Tigrr heard the same about Horsefly rds..yikes
    Be safe
    Srupp

Spent the day Saturday east of Boston Bar/ Spuzzum area, there is absolutely no sign of bears being out.
    no tracks, no scat ( not that there would be much this early, but one usually can find a pile or 2 covering as much ground as we did.
    mid point up the hill sides and many valleys that dont get a lot of sun were still locked in snow.
    , in some places lots of snow.
    My son and I hiked just under 14 kms mostly on deactivated logging roads , glassed some cuts, other than 4 muleys, absolutely no sign of bears out, not a lot of green happening either, in some places a bit getting started.
    ran into a guy and his Mrs. from PoCo , also bear hunting and same same, no sign, no activity.
    but overall was sure darn nice to have the rifle over shoulder and NO STRESS.

good luck everyone in the coming weeks.

no stops on the highway either by Hope as Farnsworth said, even though Boston Bar in the Fraser health district.

I like the bear pic, but that’s a fine looking lever gun on the left in the pic.
    make model caliber ?

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    I’ll take the liberty of posting my hunting partners biggest bear to date as well, day 1, hour 1 of bear hunting last season for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Leveraction View Post
    I like the bear pic, but that’s a fine looking lever gun on the left in the pic.
    make model caliber ?

he totes around a Browning BLR pistol grip in .450 marlin, shooting 250 grain monoflex.. bear medicine ! He got that one at sub ten yards and the kinetic energy rolled it over lol.

we both prefer to hunt our bears with levers.. adds some fun to it ! And have to get closer in my case with irons.

Started and ended my spring bear hunt in five minutes yesterday.

Parked my truck and started to hike up to my desired location when someone collecting firewood passed in his truck. "Are you out for spring bear? Well there is one just up that road." I headed off in that direction and was totally surprised (the bear was too) when he popped out 10 yards from me. Game over.

Glad there is meat in the freezer but sad that my spring hunting season ended so quickly. Guess it means more time to look for morels.
    Last edited by Jaws; 04-27-2021 at 05:25 PM.