Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: $11,000 in fines for illegal moose kills

Re: $11,000 in fines for illegal moose kills

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Mann View Post
    Far as I am concerned, that tag is a death warrant for one animal, .
    Never quite thought about it in that manner, but ok
    regardless i am glad to see some justice (convictions)
    Links
    p.s. don't let the anti's get ahold of that statement
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

Definitely light on the details.

My opinion on the subject is likely somewhat controversial. When hunting in a group with friends, what does it matter who shoots the animal as long as a valid tag is present? Far as I am concerned, that tag is a death warrant for one animal, so it shouldn't matter who drops it, as long as it can be properly tagged?

I'm not talking about shooting a moose and calling Jimmy to come in from his lazy boy in town to tag it, but if he's 30 feet away, doesn't have a clean shot and moving would spook the animal, or hell, even if he's in the next valley over and you have a method of communication. Sure, there's a danger of Jimmy also having shot something, but it's no different than a group or shared LEH with more people than tags.

Still, seeing as it is currently illegal, I'm also glad to see actual punishments being given for poaching, not just a slap on the wrist and a wave goodbye.
    If doing this leads to more animals being taken, then it reduces opportunities for everyone else. If the 2 of you are standing next to each other and either person could have killed the animal, then you have a point, but it would still be illegal.

Definitely light on the details.

My opinion on the subject is likely somewhat controversial. When hunting in a group with friends, what does it matter who shoots the animal as long as a valid tag is present? Far as I am concerned, that tag is a death warrant for one animal, so it shouldn't matter who drops it, as long as it can be properly tagged?

I'm not talking about shooting a moose and calling Jimmy to come in from his lazy boy in town to tag it, but if he's 30 feet away, doesn't have a clean shot and moving would spook the animal, or hell, even if he's in the next valley over and you have a method of communication. Sure, there's a danger of Jimmy also having shot something, but it's no different than a group or shared LEH with more people than tags.

Still, seeing as it is currently illegal, I'm also glad to see actual punishments being given for poaching, not just a slap on the wrist and a wave goodbye.
    Unethical.
    Unsportsman-like.
    Illegal.
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets...

If an animal is going to die so that I might live, the least I can do is perform the unsavoury deed myself.

Good to see they were caught but feel a bigger ban should have been applied. Spike fork should be shut down as well or some changes to it.

Pretty lite fines after seeing what the fishermen got

A 5+ year ban would have been better. You need a pretty solid case to get a conviction. For every conviction assume 9 other infractions that they got away with.
    "Every time is a once-in-a-lifetime experience . . . all different" Glenn St. Charles

LIFE MEMBER: RMGA, WSSBC, BGRCBC

They . The courts , NEVER make big examples of idiots like this.

Throw the book at them, use monies for conservation .

POS !
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Discarded antlers doubt any of them where real immys what a goof assed poacher..finea too low.

Can’t do the time don’t do the crime, although time in this case is FA. Still just a case of wrong ethnic background imo, just like the recent convictions handed down for salmon poaching in Nootka sound. Till the ‘privileged’ nets are curtailed it is a moot point. Jmo
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..