Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: $11,000 in fines for illegal moose kills

Re: $11,000 in fines for illegal moose kills

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Mann View Post
    Definitely light on the details.

My opinion on the subject is likely somewhat controversial. When hunting in a group with friends, what does it matter who shoots the animal as long as a valid tag is present? Far as I am concerned, that tag is a death warrant for one animal, so it shouldn't matter who drops it, as long as it can be properly tagged?

I'm not talking about shooting a moose and calling Jimmy to come in from his lazy boy in town to tag it, but if he's 30 feet away, doesn't have a clean shot and moving would spook the animal, or hell, even if he's in the next valley over and you have a method of communication. Sure, there's a danger of Jimmy also having shot something, but it's no different than a group or shared LEH with more people than tags.

Still, seeing as it is currently illegal, I'm also glad to see actual punishments being given for poaching, not just a slap on the wrist and a wave goodbye.

That tag is not a death warrant for an animal. It allows a person to legally hunt ,it is no guarantee of an animal. Many tags go unfilled.

The penalty was not near enough.

In my opinion a tag is a opportunity to hunt a species, it’s definitely not a death warrant.

I really have a hard time feeling like these fines (or game laws) mean anything when another race of people can go to the same area and shoot everything including cows and calves 24/7/365...but thats JMHO

It's kind of depressing to see how this stuff has "progressed" over time.

Couple guys I used to know back in Cherryville smoked a couple of bull moose before there was season there, maybe 25 years ago?. They ended up doing jail time for it. Started out as weekends but then they opted to just serve the full sentences all at once. Missing a few months of work would add up to way more than what this guy got for killing twice as many moose.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ined-1.5980947

Three men have been fined a total $11,000 for illegally killing four moose in two separate incidents in B.C.'s southern Interior and attempting to cover their tracks by exchanging hunting tags.
    Terry Knooihuizen is at the centre of both incidents, while two of his friends allowed him to use their hunting tags to cover it up.
    In 2017, Knooihuizen shot and killed two moose near Vernon, according to provincial court documents. The court fined him $3,500 for exceeding his bag limit and using another person's tag. Another man, Tim McCool, was fined $2,000 for his part in the incident.
    Two years later near Revelstoke, Knooihuizen again killed two bull moose. The court fined him another $3,500. A separate man, Christopher Gross, has been fined $2,000 for letting him use his tag.

After reading that article, it should have been life time loss of his hunting privileges, $11,000.00 per moose shot, and two months in prison. He's a repeat offender because he's never dealt with appropriately by the courts.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Mann View Post
    Definitely light on the details.

My opinion on the subject is likely somewhat controversial. When hunting in a group with friends, what does it matter who shoots the animal as long as a valid tag is present? Far as I am concerned, that tag is a death warrant for one animal, so it shouldn't matter who drops it, as long as it can be properly tagged?

I'm not talking about shooting a moose and calling Jimmy to come in from his lazy boy in town to tag it, but if he's 30 feet away, doesn't have a clean shot and moving would spook the animal, or hell, even if he's in the next valley over and you have a method of communication. Sure, there's a danger of Jimmy also having shot something, but it's no different than a group or shared LEH with more people than tags.

Still, seeing as it is currently illegal, I'm also glad to see actual punishments being given for poaching, not just a slap on the wrist and a wave goodbye.
    Definitely controversial but 100% agree

They were not charged with perjury or obstruction of justices. It tells that they were straightforward and told the truth from the beginning.
    yes, they broke the law, but what they did were not that far below the average hunters
    have you ever let your wife, children shoot a bird while they don’t have a hunting licence?
    Life is too short and time goes too fast. Hunt, hunt, and hunt....

What are there names?
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

Quote Originally Posted by Ohwildwon View Post
    What are there names?
    They are named here:

https://www.saobserver.net/news/thre...on-revelstoke/

This idea that an LEH tag is a death warrant is the reason the game laws get broken. We all know that plenty of moose get shot in shared hunts by the same hunter. That is poaching.
    The mentality behind that behaviour is that because the group has more tags they are owed that many moose,they have a right to fill all the tags. Happens all to often.