Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: $11,000 in fines for illegal moose kills

$11,000 in fines for illegal moose kills

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ined-1.5980947

Three men have been fined a total $11,000 for illegally killing four moose in two separate incidents in B.C.'s southern Interior and attempting to cover their tracks by exchanging hunting tags.
    Terry Knooihuizen is at the centre of both incidents, while two of his friends allowed him to use their hunting tags to cover it up.
    In 2017, Knooihuizen shot and killed two moose near Vernon, according to provincial court documents. The court fined him $3,500 for exceeding his bag limit and using another person's tag. Another man, Tim McCool, was fined $2,000 for his part in the incident.
    Two years later near Revelstoke, Knooihuizen again killed two bull moose. The court fined him another $3,500. A separate man, Christopher Gross, has been fined $2,000 for letting him use his tag.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: $11,000 in fines for illegal moose kills

Article seems pretty light on the details. Is this one of those "Shared Hunt" situations? Wonder how they caught him - twice?

Second time should have been a lot heavier

Definitely light on the details.

My opinion on the subject is likely somewhat controversial. When hunting in a group with friends, what does it matter who shoots the animal as long as a valid tag is present? Far as I am concerned, that tag is a death warrant for one animal, so it shouldn't matter who drops it, as long as it can be properly tagged?

I'm not talking about shooting a moose and calling Jimmy to come in from his lazy boy in town to tag it, but if he's 30 feet away, doesn't have a clean shot and moving would spook the animal, or hell, even if he's in the next valley over and you have a method of communication. Sure, there's a danger of Jimmy also having shot something, but it's no different than a group or shared LEH with more people than tags.

Still, seeing as it is currently illegal, I'm also glad to see actual punishments being given for poaching, not just a slap on the wrist and a wave goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Mann View Post
    When hunting in a group with friends, what does it matter who shoots the animal as long as a valid tag is present? Far as I am concerned, that tag is a death warrant for one animal, so it shouldn't matter who drops it, as long as it can be properly tagged?
    I'd disagree with that. So would the law. It matters.

It is likely that allowing others to shoot an animal to fill your tag would impact the harvest ratio and hunter success rate ultimately resulting in lower tag numbers.

I would like to congratulate everyone involved in a successful prosecution in this case. This individual has no regard for conservation or the law. We need more of this kind of enforcement. IMO
    " We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards, that those who follow us and assess our record may see that our mark on the land was one of respect and love, not cruelty and disdain."

Robert B. Oetting

Proud BC Resident Hunter

Considering how arbitrary and inconsistent the law and its enforcement is, I don't know how anyone can sincerely support the Crown.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Ya the details are a little fuzzy. Exceeding bag limit/poaching and then covering your tracks with one tag?
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Two separate convictions for the exact same violation should equal a lifetime hunting ban. That said, without lots more details, we are just armchair experts on the subject. Obviously it was clear enough for two convictions though.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by Island Idiots View Post
    It is likely that allowing others to shoot an animal to fill your tag would impact the harvest ratio and hunter success rate ultimately resulting in lower tag numbers.
    . . . and shorter seasons for the rest of us.