Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: u-boat or pontoon boat or inflatable kayak? for atv transport

Re: u-boat or pontoon boat or inflatable kayak? for atv transport

I bought this 3 years ago, great float tube for the price!
    https://www.costco.ca/cumberland-flo...100541449.html

Any kind of pontoon boat will not be as compact as a float tube, u boat, plus you will take a bit longer pumping it up. Both the pontoon and U boat are easy to get into and out of.The U boat will give you the most control while in the water. But in the water, when you are early spring in the higher lakes gets cold fast.
    The pontoon you sit almost completely out of the water, so you will be the warmest. Faster to get around in as well, but you need an anchor to do any kind of fishing from, or you move around too much, even in the light wind. They are easier to rig up with rod holders, so you can have two rods going. I usually do a floating line and a sink line, and use them intermittently to hit several depths to find the fish.

The pontoon style you sit higher on the water, so I find it easiest to cast from, and easy to troll as you row to where you are heading. If you get a pontoon boat, find yourself a direct adapter to go to a compressor. They are worth the $10-$15 for them, I think is what I paid. The boat comes with the adapter to put onto the pontoon bladder and connect to a foot pump. The adapter lets you plug into the pontoon bladder and go direct to normal tire valve for an air pump.

Please also get a PDF. I used to never use one for years, thinking that nothing ever happens, or I'm close to shore and can easily swim to shore. It only takes one small incident to change ones mind, I was lucky that one time, and will not try my luck ever again. They make excellent PDF's now that do not hinder you while fly fishing.
    Last edited by wallz; 04-05-2021 at 11:39 PM. Reason: adding more info

I’ve fished in tubes/uboats many years ago and still have both. The uboat is the best imo for ease of getting in/out of and fishability(larger stripping area) Early spring fishing requires 5mm neoprene and an under layer to stay warm or you’ll be cutting your water time short. Fins are another major component for control in wind and being able to kick back through wind. I’ve tried a few different brands, but Force Fins are absolutely the easiest to use with minimal fatigue on longer kicks.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

I have a fishcat, great quality and great for small lakes, get some good flippers though. You get crAppy ones you will hate the experience.

I always find it relaxing to lay back with a fly rod with a cold beer and a big fat... bag of chips..

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    True, but i have seen my fair share of folks in kayaks take a bath also.
    Then your day trip is over til you find some dry clothes.
    Belly boats still have there purposes, imo.
    This would possibly solve the tipping issue. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...c00wnoQeA&mp=1

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    I have a fishcat, great quality and great for small lakes, get some good flippers though. You get crAppy ones you will hate the experience. ..
    Very true.
    Some are so whimpy it’s like trying to kick with a couple cooked spaghetti noodles strapped to your feet.

My Force Fins are still going strong after 30 years. No regrets on that purchase.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

good input, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    ................relaxing to lay back with a fly rod with a cold beer and a big fat... bag of chips..
    fattie and chips?

uboat/fin/waders/vest/pfd combo starts to get bulky
    Inflatable kayaks are more stable than rigid, and have a better seat than a simple 2man boat
    Price and availability are being hit buy Covid inflation, so will likely just buy a $100 boat from CT for now and keep shopping
    May wind up with a pakraft later on.......or.......
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

The pontoon would be my choice of all three if transporting by ATV wasn't desired.
    If transporting by ATV, get a U-boat. My buddy has a pontoon and it is difficult, if not impossible, to transport by ATV and a kayak would be even more difficult. Besides, paddling a kayak and trying to fly fish would not be fun unless you just trolled.

Costco.ca

Ushaped belly boat that kind of has a bow to it plus fins for $240.
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.