Thread: Close call, first bear sighting of the season.

Close call, first bear sighting of the season.

Went out scouting for some new deer area and saw the first bear of the season today near loops. Ive been trying to access some hard to reach area that I know holds deer, bordered by private land, alpine and two very deep gullies I always hike until I find a good game trail crossing over. Well I found a good trail and started my way down the very steep gully dog out in front and stopped at the base of a big fir tree, I noticed something move below me and low and behold a big brown head lookin up at me about 2 feet from my ankles. Quick few steps back to about 8' away, cocked the hammer on the mares leg and called the dog back, the bear pulled it s head back into the den when my dog passed then exited and took off up hill with haste. We departed the area and will leave it be, not a huge chocolate bear but healthy lookin. No green grass at all, no buds showing, still snowy patches on the higher south slopes, deep snow on the north slopes, I know of one other bear den still under deep snow so was not expecting this guy to be active.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Close call, first bear sighting of the season.

Well I'll bet that got the adrenaline flowing. Glad he wasn't hungry for meat yet. Pfft, and those Americans down south are scared of stepping near a rattlesnake. Compare that to a Canadian stepping on a Black Bear.

Thanks Firstblood. Was hoping for some local updates. I won’t likely get out till May but good to hear of the conditions out there. I’m always excited for spring bear but this year especially as my 12 year old boy just passed his CORE on Wednesday. Will be hunting under his own tags this year, not that it matters much. I always seemed to have plenty of unpunched tags for the both of us.
    montec

What elevation was that around?

Had a very similar encounter last October with a sow and cub. Up pops the sow out of her den at 10 feet with a cub hot on her trail. The sow took off and was about 20 feet away by the time I had even swung the rifle around.

800m elevation south facing slope.

very cool experience,glad to hear you and the pup and walked away and the bear was left to do it's thing. With any luck, there are a couple nice healthy colour phase cubs in there with it.

Thanks for sharing!!!
    Last edited by Ron.C; 04-03-2021 at 07:22 PM.

That gets me excited. Few more weeks and ill be out looking. Happy you and the dog are safe and sound.