Went out scouting for some new deer area and saw the first bear of the season today near loops. Ive been trying to access some hard to reach area that I know holds deer, bordered by private land, alpine and two very deep gullies I always hike until I find a good game trail crossing over. Well I found a good trail and started my way down the very steep gully dog out in front and stopped at the base of a big fir tree, I noticed something move below me and low and behold a big brown head lookin up at me about 2 feet from my ankles. Quick few steps back to about 8' away, cocked the hammer on the mares leg and called the dog back, the bear pulled it s head back into the den when my dog passed then exited and took off up hill with haste. We departed the area and will leave it be, not a huge chocolate bear but healthy lookin. No green grass at all, no buds showing, still snowy patches on the higher south slopes, deep snow on the north slopes, I know of one other bear den still under deep snow so was not expecting this guy to be active.