Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Putting fun back in 3d

Re: Putting fun back in 3d

Seems like its the competative guys that are doing the work setting up the courses. Maybe what we need is some family fun loving guys to do some of the setting up. I salmon arm last summer we started having a 12 ring so did the guys in enderby . make the animal an easyer shot and the better guys can shoot at the 12.

Has anyone looked at the prices of the top notch traditional bows? Sweet Geepers, they are better than the price of some of the high end compound bows.
    I am totally against separation within the ranks of 3D shooters. I think shooters both young and old can benefit by simply having lunch beside a group of good shooters and gaining information simply by osmosis. More than once I have seen a good shooter offer information to a budding and potential national champion.

Greybark, where are you? Get ready to start running damage control.

Bow walker ...You speak of a "Tour" Some folks next door put one together province wide in 2005 (the southern portion has had one going for 10 years prior to that). There was some growing pains as the the original alberta archery association had allready split into 2 factions and the 3DAA (3D Archers of Alberta) would make 3 bodies (story is not for here .... take up wayyyy to much bandwidth on this site if i were to type it out) there was some opposition from the die hard Bowhunters that shot 3D (mostly those that havent realized that 3D archery has evolved well beyond its hunting practice roots yet and there is big money to be made at 3D south of the 49th). If your are serious about starting up a provincial "tour" or hell even an island tour for your region (as we all know BC dont have the geography of watching our dogs run away fer 3 days) gimme a holler ... I would like to eventully see a western Canada "Tour" Get some big name sponsors etc ... and have a destination event ....

Speaking of Family Fun ... Rumour has it that a R-100 is coming to Alberta soon .... those are the biggest family 3D events I have ever been to. ...Granted that is rumour ....but I would sure go to that

Sealevel ... you are right ...competive guys seem to be the ones setting the courses .... I dont know what else can be done to change that as its the competive guys that seem to have a genuine love of the sport ... the average hunter that thinks of archery as an after thought You will never see at the club except on shoot day ....at least in my expiriance ...anyway ...

One way I have seen for a Fun Shoot ...and the most fun "local" type shoot I have ever been to is the Camp He ho ha fundraiser shoot just west of Edmonton ...been goin on fer 13 years now and always has a bigger turnout each year .... Greg does all the work himself ... he sets stakes and has 2 divisions ...competive and non-competive ... all comp shooters shot from the stakes .... if you wanna shoot non ... you can shoot from anywhere ...his shoots are obviously not sanctioned .... but he holds it to raise money to send people with disabilities to Camp for the summer (last years 125 archers raised over 75 grand )

Just some Idle thoughts from a guy ...

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bowzone_Mikey View Post
    Bow walker .... If your are serious about starting up a provincial "tour" or hell even an island tour for your region (as we all know BC dont have the geography of watching our dogs run away fer 3 days) gimme a holler ... I would like to eventully see a western Canada "Tour" Get some big name sponsors etc ... and have a destination event .......
    B.M.

I have been thinking/talking about this for a couple of months now. I'd like to see changes happen here on Vanc. Isle, and I'd be willing to work at it.

Firstly, I'd like to have all the clubs on the Island take this 3D thing a bit more seriously and start using the proper rules - become "sanctioned" shoots like those on the Mainland. As it stands now getting everybody on the same page is almost impossible. Hell, even getting all those concerned together for an initial "think tank" type of meeting is almost an impossibility!

I've got some ideas that are half formed that I'd like to put out there for consideration, but it's hard to get everyone concerned together. Any and all hints, tips, and advice are welcome.

On another note and...Secondly, I really would like to see something happen to bring out more families to the shoots that take place now. They are a lot of fun. They're enjoyed by all that attend. There's a great mix of shooters - from cubs all the way on up to seniors, and a wide variety of shooting styles as well, from Traditional Long bows, Flat bows, Recurves, all the way up to Compound Hunters, and Target Rigs, with all the bells and whistles you can shake a stick at.

So there is no lack of variety at these shoots. If anyone were interested and didn't know what discipline they should get into - just walking around and looking at the equipment is better than any sporting goods store or archery shop!

It is my opinion that the sport of 3d archery and Target archery has enough interested participants that it would not be too much of a stretch to get ourselves a bit more organized.

I'm talking about 3D and Field archery here, so far. I've not had anything to do with the F.I.T.A. style of target shooting yet so I can't speak to that. Although, they appear to be fairly well organized already that is to say that they are governed by an international set of rules.

Island 3D shooters need to take a step up and start taking themselves a bit more seriously rather than just being a loose knit compilation of clubs. Let's take ourselves to the next level and all start adhering to the international rules of 3D for a start. Getting organized could very well draw more people into the sport.

as always - just one man's opinion...(along with a few others)
    Last edited by Bow Walker; 11-08-2007 at 11:10 AM.

Those are all good idea`s bowwalker i would like to do that up here. This is just my opionon but i think we need a bc 3d and field achery association .i just can`t see the bcaa being any help at all .

The BCAA sanctioned archery events are covered by liability insurance which is a huge deal in this day and age.

http://www.3daa.ca/

walker check that link out .... that is what we did in alberta .... the website is not been updated recently ... but it will give you an idea.

I was on the excec commitee when it first got off the ground but gave up my seat when i moved to PG in 2006