Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shotgun slug for big game

Re: Shotgun slug for big game

I've shot a fair amount of Blacktails with slugs. Found the 1 oz Foster style shoot well out of my smooth bore 870. They do knock the deer down well, but the soft slugs pancake out and commonly don't penetrate all the way through if any bone is hit. Interestingly, they deform less and penetrate deeper out past 50 yards. Can't speak for those fancy copper sabot slugs.

Hummm I have no idea but perhaps the regulation was put in place decades before modern shotguns and rifled slugs improved accuracy? I carry a Defender while in G-Bear country and well if a CO wants to take issue after I save myself in an attack I'd be okay explaining myself to a judge.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

We're way off topic ... My moneys on no reg change... And nog

Of what I can deduct here, there is no real reason for this regulation. It's just one of those "that's the way it is" kind of rule.

Just wondering. Why use a shotgun when you can use a rifle. For larger game the rifle is more efficient.
    Last edited by Keta1969; 05-01-2021 at 09:45 AM.

Probably when the "RULES" were made up there were no "rifled shotguns" only smooth bore shotguns which was the definition of a "shotgun" back then.
    I can take my .75 cal. smooth bore flintlock out and shoot a moose, I see no reason why a modern rifled "shotgun" is illegal.
    At is an oxymoron to call a rifled firearm a shotgun.

It's a very old rule, but it's one of those rules that doesn't make much sense to put any effort into changing.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    I always wonder why you can't put more than 2 in the magazine of a shotgun. Who cares how fast you get your limit.
    I think it's about sportsmanship. Might be wrong.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

In Ontario you can hunt moose with a shotgun !
    The law should be changed if you can hunt with a bow then why not with a shotgun ,
    what about muzzleloader it's like a shotgun .