Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Golden Bighorn Sheep Collaring project

Re: Golden Bighorn Sheep Collaring project

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    Back in the ‘80s we hunted Coyote Creek through to Top of the World. I’m assuming the sheep were released up sheep camp then.
    Could be... I’m not familiar with the area. To be honest with you the relocation was before my time of involvement with the club.
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

Quote Originally Posted by Cabled View Post
    Great job Golden Rod and Gun! These are the kinds of things that show hunters in a positive light, hopefully the government will take this into account on future highway/rail upgrades. Thanks for posting!
    Thanks for the encouragement, Cabled. The club made a decision a few years ago to do something about the wildlife and habitat in our backyard instead of waiting for someone else to do it for us. We figured it would be too late by the time that help arrived.
    Last edited by Greenthumbed; 03-30-2021 at 07:24 PM.
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

Great work Green thumb
    It's folks like you that help to build wildlife.
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

I lived in Golden from 1990 to 2003. I lived at the hilltop with sheep lying in my yard and the rams would head butt the sides of the mobile homes up there. There were many sheep at that time. Last I saw there was a fence all round that area and no sheep to be seen. The fences are funnelling the sheep onto the highway. When I lived there it was very rare to see a sheep killed on that stretch of road. I also know there was abundant cougar and bear activity in that area. If there are only 11 sheep left it must be predators and that fencing causing it. Get rid of that fence and let the sheep move freely as they did before. The RCMP can start enforcing speed limits at the hilltop.

It’s true. There were many more sheep back then and you are right, the fencing has a lot to do with the sheep population. The fence has segmented their habit. They aren’t able to move as freely as they used to. Back in those days there was a lot more sheep. Like I said in an earlier post, about half the herd was relocated to another area in the east Kootenay. Since that time the highway has seen much change and the sheep’s habit altered significantly. The herd has been on a steady decline since.

But with all that said. You guys do a great job up there and thanks for that!

Thanks for saying so, Deer Slayer. We appreciate the encouragement. We are doing our best to make some positive change over here in Golden.