Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ATV Exhaust

Re: ATV Exhaust

The prier spooked animals will run but most animals will wait to see what it is.
    I can hear those souped up side by sides 5 miles away. A honda 2 miles away. Bears run, mule deer wait and moose wait. Grouse land on the handle bars of my Honda. Hard to shoot there.
    I like the guys who are yelling at each other to be heard and running in low range with the revs screaming. And they don't see anything! Go figure.
    Drive into an area and walk around is the best way. You see way more animals.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

if you want advise on silent travelling, start with your shoe size...

Quote Originally Posted by bigredchev View Post
    You win the Webbernet today,,LOL,,so true

And... let me tell you, speaking from experience, size 13's do not run all that silent or leave no trace...
    Quote Originally Posted by wetcoastwillie View Post
    In general.... sometimes I may come across as being a prick.... but I'm human.... and cant always express my views as best as I should

Im just wondering what hunting skills does one possess when on a quad armed with a rifle with the hope of comming across some really dumb inexperienced animal. I dont think that a quieter muffler is the answer.
    Hunting the promised land

Walking is the most enjoyable way to hunt and get a better experience but it is still nice to have a more quiet machine to get to those spots.

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    Im just wondering what hunting skills does one possess when on a quad armed with a rifle with the hope of comming across some really dumb inexperienced animal. I dont think that a quieter muffler is the answer.
    I don't hunt off my quad but you still need to get to your spot somehow before you start walking. I can see the benefit of having a quieter vehicle to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron0518 View Post
    Walking is the most enjoyable way to hunt and get a better experience but it is still nice to have a more quiet machine to get to those spots.
    Exactly.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Sounds like I just might not worry about it for now. Like some of you mentioned, just use you feet, well I do a lot of walking/ hiking with a gun. Love it, but you need to get to a spot first, I don't want to walk forest service roads all day and you can see a lot of animals along the way.

Shouldn’t it be dark when your travelling to your spot ?

Lol, gotta love the responses of quietly sneaking upto game while in/on an atv/utv. While riding for fun, we can be heard a great distance off, kms distance. While riding on trails to get to hunting areas this is slightly less, but still a good km.

It is always nice to run across someone that is sitting on, or near the trail comment on how loud we are driving upto them. I usually comment: I guess 30m to a moose, 20 ft to a 4 pt mule deer, 25 yrds on a huge bear is not close enough. Yes some of these were shooters, and yes some of these were shot. Numerous times this has happened.

Moral of the story: don't worry so much about how loud you are, worry about how fast you can get the rifle ready to shoot the game you come across. Yes we put boots to the ground, and do walk ins after getting close to the area we are heading to, but it is nice to get a freebie once in a while as well. Which one of you wouldn't?