Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Elk knowledge

Re: Elk knowledge

I ended up doing the elk 101 course, thank you to the several people who recommended it.

100% worth it.

If anyone is looking to expand their elk hunting knowledge, spend the money on the course and you won't be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    I feel that pain, I paid 400+shipping and insurance.. most I’ve ever paid for a book.
    I also feel like most of the information in the book is readily found online, but then you have to have the skill set to dig through what is fact, hearsay and opinion vs everything being in one book at your finger tips snd it’s all fact.
    Hey RyoTHC

You over paid. I bought mine on eBay for $140 CDN. Like elk hunting you have to be patient.

Good book!

Seems to me that elk are fairly common. A person may not see them but chances are they are there. Probably one of the most elusive and skittish animals we have in canada. Seems like they are scared of their own shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose63 View Post
    Hey RyoTHC

You over paid. I bought mine on eBay for $140 CDN. Like elk hunting you have to be patient.

Good book!
    that’s probably true, I definitely wasn’t patient. Bought the first copy I found last summer thinking I was going to spend the fall elk hunting, then got a moose leh lol

this year is the year I start chasing elk and eating tag soup lol
    was hoping to be ready for bow season as I have the entirety of September off but no where near proficient enough for that so going to chase them sept 10-oct 4.

good luck to everyone… damn near go time !

I'll be chasing GOS 6 point bulls on Sept 10. Can't wait!

Last year was my first real year of hunting elk and the excitement of a bull screaming and thrashing the bush will never be forgotten. Friggin' hair on the back of my neck standing straight up!
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    I'll be chasing GOS 6 point bulls on Sept 10. Can't wait!

Last year was my first real year of hunting elk and the excitement of a bull screaming and thrashing the bush will never be forgotten. Friggin' hair on the back of my neck standing straight up!
    Its addictive lol.

You can hunt elk most of your life like me and think you have it all figured until you realize you don't.
    There are posts on here that have "some truth" to them, but its not written in stone.
    They can be a gnarly stuff, bedded, but generally like a place where there is a creek and shade if hot and somewhere they can
    even lay in mud to stay cool.
    They can hang in an area for weeks, or travel 20km in a nights.
    They like early morning and just before night, BUT, have had them come out into a cut block, in October, in 30+ degrees at
    high noon and walk 400m thru a cut block to me, within feet.
    So, scenarios are different every time.

Elk need water every day, so, no water for miles, doubt you will find elk hanging there.
    They like to stay cool, so treed creeks and streams are natural ac for them.
    They can bugle and crash or come in like a cat.
    If out in the open with cows and you bugle, they most always pack up and head the opposite way.
    Bugle and he feels his cows are hidden in a treed area, he might come out to check you out and tell you to piss off.
    Way up high in sub alpine to the lowest part of the valleys.

Hint, they leaves tracks.
    Fresh sign is something that is always a give away.
    Just have to figure out if it is a b-line for 20km or if he is with shes and are hovering the area.
    That's where you start.

101 is good and husky had some good pointers for sure.