Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Elk knowledge

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Re: Elk knowledge

Well Im definitely no professional elk hunter but we hunt late season well after the rut (oct 10-20) and the more snow the better as it forces the Elk down to lower elevations where we can effectively hunt them,

If its warm and no snow they (bulls) canstill be up in the Alpine basins.....so if all going well we key in on there feeding routines and again if lots of snow up high we usually see Elk daily, but it can be a frustrating hunt if unseasonably warm and no snow, luckily where we hunt we have moose, MD and WT deer to hunt as well as Elk.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by jac View Post
    There is also a elk training website. I think it’s called elk 101
    highly recommend. worth the money for sure.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Go hunt the thickest Gnarliest Bush you can find, In my experience thats where they are when their not on the move.
    But be very very careful , if you spook them out of there gnarliest bedroom they will be gone never to be found .
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Sho' do taste fine, of that I am certain mon ami.

I’m no expert but here is my opinion. 80% of the province can be classified as elk habitat. What you need to do is pick a region to focus on then find a general area where you know elk live yr round. Let’s say you pick region 4. Look online in past leh synopsis’ and find a starting point.
    You talk about wanting to get away from roads and other hunters......if you go back through old threads you’ll see where guys talk about hiking yr after yr into the back country looking for elk but they see less and less elk every yr. part of this could be high pred numbers and part of it could be that the low numbers of elk aren’t forcing the herd to branch out to find feed. Keep in mind that elk are similar to cattle in that they don’t travel far from food, water but they need cover.
    River bottoms have a vast amount of feed and water so other than less bugs, why would a herd leave and head to the high country?

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    Well Im definitely no professional elk hunter but we hunt late season well after the rut (oct 10-20) and the more snow the better as it forces the Elk down to lower elevations where we can effectively hunt them,

If its warm and no snow they (bulls) canstill be up in the Alpine basins.....so if all going well we key in on there feeding routines and again if lots of snow up high we usually see Elk daily, but it can be a frustrating hunt if unseasonably warm and no snow, luckily where we hunt we have moose, MD and WT deer to hunt as well as Elk.
    It sounds like a hell of a place. You should share a story about one of your adventures there.
    If the world is warming why are there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why do you demand special treatment?

You can not comply your way out of tyranny.

Fire them ALL!

thick and steep is where they will be during the rut. good luck getting them to come out into cut blocks or fields when calling during daylight hours.
    I've shot all my 6 pointers within 40 yards.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    It sounds like a hell of a place. You should share a story about one of your adventures there.

I have shared it, check through my past threads and you'll see the pictures/story
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

I would absolutely love to hunt Elk , never have . Maybe I will apply for an LEH again . If anyone would care to share where to try for an LEH that would be great !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    I would absolutely love to hunt Elk , never have . Maybe I will apply for an LEH again . If anyone would care to share where to try for an LEH that would be great !
    Arctic Lake
    Go general every year man. Head up to the peace or over to the koots. Looks at harvest stats to see what units are best and giver. Good times.
    If the world is warming why are there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why do you demand special treatment?

You can not comply your way out of tyranny.

Fire them ALL!