Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Elk knowledge

Elk knowledge

After years of being too busy to do much hunting, This year coming up I'll have alot more time!

My buddy and I are going to be doing some elk hunting, and I'm trying to figure out what sort of habitat they like to stick to. I've run into them in whitetail style, low down areas before, but all the elk vids on youtube seem high up and mountainy. I'm a big fan of getting away from all roads for less hunter pressure, and hiking lots of kms is a bonus in my eyes, so maybe I'm just hoping that a high mountain valley is where to go lol.

What is HBC's opinion, what sort of habitat holds elk?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Elk knowledge

Take a look at the LEH draws for Elk, that'll give you a general idea where some of herds are as far as MUs. The east Kootenays hold elk & there are scattered herds elsewhere in the province, but difficult to find for GOS hunting. They will travel from low to high & vice versa. Depends on the time of day & season.

I'm just here to cherrypick info on hopes someone slips up with spots. I don't know shit about Elk.

But it seems as if they can survive anywhere from temperate rainforest to sagebrush to high mountain tops.

Try to land a copy of Olaus J. Murie's book, "ELK of North America"
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Try to land a copy of Olaus J. Murie's book, "ELK of North America"
    Sounds like this book has everything imaginable about Elk, just have to find a copy that isn't $400!

There is also a elk training website. I think it’s called elk 101

Quote Originally Posted by jac View Post
    There is also a elk training website. I think it’s called elk 101
    How do you enroll your elk into the program so they know how to be hunted and behave properly during hunting season?
    Quote Originally Posted by wetcoastwillie View Post
    In general.... sometimes I may come across as being a prick.... but I'm human.... and cant always express my views as best as I should

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBob View Post
    How do you enroll your elk into the program so they know how to be hunted and behave properly during hunting season?

Sign up they will walk you through it. I have listed to some of corey jacobs (spelling) seminars on YouTube and I learned a fair bit.

Go hunt the thickest Gnarliest Bush you can find, In my experience thats where they are when their not on the move.

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Go hunt the thickest Gnarliest Bush you can find, In my experience thats where they are when their not on the move.
    Ain’t that the truth.