Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Another hit to our hunting spaces - indigenous conservation areas

Re: Another hit to our hunting spaces - indigenous conservation areas

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    Another UN backed initiative to preserve wild space (don’t get me wrong cause we need something set aside) but this will most likely be accessible by FN or by payment. All the while the Amazon rain forest is being slaughtered down to every last tree and the UN does phuck all. Hypocrites at best with the UN.
    The f****n UN has no business to dictate what happens in BC or Canada, but of course we know the turd got his head up the UN's ass.
    We need to get rid of him yesterday
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    Lets say you have to pay $20 for a tag to hunt bear on some Indian land, do you care whether you pay this government, or some Indian government?
    I don't.
    I'd be fine with it. I don't care much who the government bossing me around is as long as they're reasonable and not too tough to deal with.

If you run a red light in Mexico and get a ticket do you scream because it's not the BC government giving you the ticket? Nope.

And if he says "You can pay now, in cash, but it's half price and no paperwork"? Even better.

Now, is it good for the country? Not so much, but I don't control that.

Two news stories in the past week or so. Pikangikum First Nation in Ontario expelled the OPP from "within their borders" (https://globalnews.ca/news/7710812/o...-first-nation/) while in Nova Scotia the Mi'kmaq have forbidden RCMP from coming on their reserve (can't find source but saw it earlier).

Right, wrong, good, bad or indifferent, there's a new day coming.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Adriaticum, I agree with you on this one (and I believe you had a similar sentiment on another thread regarding handover of Crown land). I'm also a fairly new hunter, so feel free to ignore these comments as those of a young, naive city-dweller.

We spend a lot of time and energy bashing the current government's strategy (or lack thereof) for wildlife management. Who's to say a new form of government won't be better for wildlife, and thus hunters?
    The first time I heard about anything of this sort was from a fishing guide in the Prince Rupert area, and my reaction was the same as many ("how could we ever expect First Nations do do a better job of management?" "How could this possibly be a better thing for hunters/anglers in the province?"). Well, we've certainly sat back and watched as BC salmon stocks are managed to zero. Maybe a different strategy is warranted this time...
    I get that there is mistrust, but when I hear people like Chad Day of the Tahltan Nation talk about the need for predator management, among other topics, it seems to me that his message is far more in line with what BC hunters want than anything the BC government has ever said.

At the end of the day, my feeling is that the handover of Crown land to Indigenous peoples is happening whether we like it or not. So as a hunting community, would it not be better to try to get ahead of something for once and seek allies within those nations, rather than alienate ourselves by contesting something we are powerless to stop?

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    I'm sure 10-15 years ago when I said Indians are working to have a parallel government with BC, someone told me I was naive.
    Keep an open mind.

Think about another scenario.
    Lets say you have to pay $20 for a tag to hunt bear on some Indian land, do you care whether you pay this government, or some Indian government?
    I don't.

First Nations know that they can't block access to hunting.
    There would be an all out war.
    I reckon all governments are aware.
    First off I’m doubtful that they’ll let us hunt, never mind for a measly $20. Yes, I know that’s an example, but when have they ever tried working with us? I personally don’t see this going very well for anyone.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Said it in another thread....trying to partner with someone who wants it all is a fools errand. They’ve been conditioned to believe they’re special and deserving of more than others. They’re not.
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

https:/ /landneedsguardians.ca/

"About 60 Indigenous Guardians programs are managing lands, waters and resources right now. Our work is as varied as the terrain. Along the Pacific Coast, guardians help sustain wild salmon runs. In the Mackenzie River Valley, guardians monitor pipeline repairs. In the eastern Manitoba, guardians test water quality around hydro dams. In Labrador, guardians help implement an Indigenous-led plan to restore caribou and monitor some of Canada’s largest mines. And across the country, guardians will have a central role in managing proposed Indigenous Protected and Conserved Areas."
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    First off I’m doubtful that they’ll let us hunt, never mind for a measly $20. Yes, I know that’s an example, but when have they ever tried working with us? I personally don’t see this going very well for anyone.
    I don't know if they will let us hunt. I reckon they will.
    Right now it goes both ways.
    In some instances if you ask FN they will let you hunt and fish. In some they won't.
    Personally, we are currently paying to hunt. I don't care who I have to pay a license fee to hunt.

There are many possible scenarios that come to my head.
    Firstly, if some kind of a parellel state is created by the Federal government in BC where BC is partitioned off and vast landscapes are blocked for non-indigenous residents,
    it's almost a guarantee that Canada is done and over with.
    For most of us, I think, this would be the drop that overflows the bucket.
    But we have to present that treason such as it is.
    Maverick Party, or any indepencence party really need to step into high gear and work with this situation.
    For this reason, I don't think any kind of initiative will come from the Federal government.
    They will have to force Provincial government to commit any acts of treason.
    And I'm sure many in the provincial government are willing.

So I am not sure if this is going to be a very radical departure from status quo. Remains to be seen.
    One thing is for sure, First Nations will want to control access to natural resources and development of them.
    It could be that they get control over that and all profits go to the FN, instead of local and federal governments.
    That would effectively make FN territory a foreign country for all intents and purposes.
    I am not sure how that will affect us.
    This is already de-facto what's happening.
    Indians are getting paid and adding burden to any developments in BC, that de-facto any development is paying enough fees as if it's being transported through a foreign country.
    That's why BC products are not competetive on the world stage any longer. Oil, Natural Gas, Lumber etc.
    Nothing changes there.

Another elephant in the room is that many of the developments in BC and owned and operated by foreign countries and bringing their own labour force that doens't speak any English.
    This is something nobody is talking about and yet it's happening everywhere.
    BC is already a whore. Maybe land tranfer to the Natives is not a bad idea.

I am only concerned about access to nature, hunting, fishing and outdoors.
    Because all the wording is being done as FN and Government working together on management of resources, I believe that we will not lose access to the land.

But, I am certainly aware that opposite is possible and I'm prepared to fight it.
    Last edited by adriaticum; 03-27-2021 at 07:45 PM.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

They won’t let us hunt. They get enough money for free from other sources. When I get shut out from my ‘traditional lands’ I’ll be poaching my traditional rights. What a total load of BS. But it will come to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Treed View Post
    They won’t let us hunt. They get enough money for free from other sources. When I get shut out from my ‘traditional lands’ I’ll be poaching my traditional rights. What a total load of BS. But it will come to pass.

Look, you can't say that with certainty. You don't know.
    One of the reason they might be transfering land to the FN is to stop the welfare system that exists right now.
    So FN will not get any free resources.
    Maybe that is not such a bad idea.
    Give them land and end the welfare state.
    But I agree, if my traditional territory is closed, I will not need a license or tag to hunt.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

They will continue to gain more and more control and will continue to receive provincial and federal funding as the UnDRIP reverberations keep spreading. The recent outcomes of court cases support this. With great control, comes no responsibility. They are not transferring land to end some welfare state, they are transferring land to appease the great liberal guilt complex.