Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's Tag?

Who's Tag?

New to hunting here and I can't seem to find a clear answer.

I'm going to be rifle hunting for bear while my friend bow hunts. We plan to be both in proximity of each other as well as together at times.

Hypothetically, a bow hunter shoots a bear and his hunting partner has an ethical opportunity to finish it off with a rifle, and he takes it. Who's tag do you punch?

Is there a legal requirement or is it something the group generally decides amongst themselves?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Who's Tag?

Generally doesn't matter in your case. As long as you both have a license and a tag. Would be the same deal if you both had rifles and the first shooter made a bad shot.

Now if we are talking bow only season then you are obviously not allowed.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

The devils details come out when 2 guys hunt together and one has punched his tag on the first animal but then offers a follow up shot on his buddies animal, hunting illegally, even though ethically he's doing the right thing ensuring an efficient kill.
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Thanks for the quick responses. Additional detail would be we both have unpunched tags during legal rifle season.

Electricdyck - In your scenario I wouldn't be hauling a rifle around without a tag in hand. So, I don't forsee that as an issue. Of course, I'm sure we could come up with a scenario where same day I punched my tag first on the way back to camp he makes a bad shot but the 'what if's' are endless here.

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    New to hunting here and I can't seem to find a clear answer.

I'm going to be rifle hunting for bear while my friend bow hunts. We plan to be both in proximity of each other as well as together at times.

Hypothetically, a bow hunter shoots a bear and his hunting partner has an ethical opportunity to finish it off with a rifle, and he takes it. Who's tag do you punch?

Is there a legal requirement or is it something the group generally decides amongst themselves?
    Legally speaking, its a no-no. It's kind of a gray area, in that with a black bear if you both have tags then depending on the CO whether he keeps asking questions and just gives you a verbal warning or what... If you have punched your tag(s) then take a finisher shot at said wounded bear then you are hunting illegally as you don't have a tag.
    A few years back when I was spear hunting with a rifle toting buddy I had a CO lose his shit on me because I didn't have a rifle for backup so obviously that meant that my buddy was going to have to apply a finisher and "he could be charged". Depends on the CO on how they handle it.

Regardless though, typically when bears are stabbed with an arrow they spin around a couple times and then line out in whatever direction they are pointed when they stop spinning. Give them a bit to bleed and stiffen up and they are pretty easy to slip a second arrow into if needed. It's more a mental thing than it is an actual danger following one up.
    Last edited by KodiakHntr; 03-26-2021 at 02:39 PM.

I think your over thinking it.... Both have tags...you will be fine

It’s straight forward:
    Ponder the alternative scenario by taking your buddy out of it. If Hunter A shot an animal only to watch it limp off, and it was later finished off by a independent third-party, Hunter B, then Hunter B would cut their tag.

and therein lies the answer.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

you are ignoring the rule of first blood aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Livewire322 View Post
    It’s straight forward:
    Ponder the alternative scenario by taking your buddy out of it. If Hunter A shot an animal only to watch it limp off, and it was later finished off by a independent third-party, Hunter B, then Hunter B would cut their tag.

and therein lies the answer.

Depends if the first shot would prove fatal, better get an autopsy done.

There is nothing defined in our laws for this specific scenerio.

Well, there kind of is. In fact this is one case where the law offers a simple solution to a more complex scenario. So opinions aside, let's just go with law.

The law requires a tag is to be cut upon recovery of the animal. You both have to have a tag to "hunt" the animal, but if you both put a bullet (or arrow) in it, the law does not care which ended it. There are no legal provisions concerning that.

I believe in "first blood". Whoever shot it first owns it. In one case I put down a deer. Once I knew it was staying down, I went to find my hunting partner so they could "recover" their deer.

So no need to overcomplicate this one. As long as you both have tags and both bow and rifle are allowed for the species on said day, you can both pursue and shoot. Then you can decide who is to "recover" it (walk up to it) and that person can then legally and ethically cut their tag. We did this last fall.

It's also a good thing to discuss with your hunting partner in advance, to decide if you agree with follow up shots by the other person or go by "first blood" or "last shot" with regard to ownership.

Just dont walk up to it to look at it, poke it with your rifle or start taking pictures if the other shooter will be cutting the tag (a CO will likely and correctly interpret that to be recovery and failure to cancel the tag) ... at most, stay where you are and watch a few mins to make sure it isn't moving, then immediately retrieve the shooter cutting the tag.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 03-27-2021 at 04:09 PM.