Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jon boats

Re: Jon boats

I've had a 10 foot Jon boat for years. Haven't used it in a while, but put a lot of time on the water with it. Had a 2.5 outboard for it, but mostly used my electric. Caught lots of fish. Fairly stable, but being only 10 feet long....not something you want to be on any larger water in. Best part it's really light and can take to any lake and still get on the water...even when I've had to drag/carry it down a short trail to the water.
    Owned a 16 foot Jon boat (modified V) with a 25 horse for a few years. Why I ever sold it I don't know. Loved that boat! Easy to tow and launch, fast (definitely sketchy at WOT when empty though!), lots of room, very stable, and really not too bad in a small chop. Did have a few "interesting" times on both Harrison and Okanagan Lakes though..

I've always been a fan of Jon boats, but I think much of the choice between one and a "typical" aluminum is personal preference.

Re: Jon boats

don't buy anything less than a 40" floor width. Also a front mounted electric takes out any wind issues. I have owned many, I like the Lowe 1040, price is right too.