Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Haida Gwaii/Queen Charlott Trip in Sept 2021 want info on tags temps and where to go.

Haida Gwaii/Queen Charlott Trip in Sept 2021 want info on tags temps and where to go.

I read in the regs and saw 15 deer limit but after reading around I find that their is only a 5 possession limit although I dont see that in the regs it says 15 and 15 to me that sounds like you can have 15 in your possession maybe just wishful thinking on my part.

I hear their are special tags that one can get and are they available online?

I would like to go in sept during buck and doe season what are the temps like then would it be cool enough without a cooler and just in the back of the truck?

I have never been so have no idea of where to go do I go as far north or west as I can find how far do you need to go till one gets to some decent places to hunt I am reading that logged areas are the place to hang out or does one road hunt till they see something or is hiking in the thing to do also hear hunting along the shoreline is good?

How long should I plan on staying for a relaxed hunt if their is such a thing in Haida Gwaii I also hear fishing is something to try is their plenty of rivers to fish or will that be salt water fishing from shore?

Is it still worth going these days I heard that they had pro hunters in shooting all the deer they dont say where though...

Guess I should look up and see if they FN have closed things down due to covid but hopefully things will be done with covid by then anyways...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Haida Gwaii/Queen Charlott Trip in Sept 2021 want info on tags temps and where to

Possession is 5, so you can only have 5 when you drive home. You can shoot 5, eat one, and shoot another. There are special tags. Google it. Nope. Too warm and wet to have 5 deer lying in your truck bed. You’ll have to arrange refrigeration or bring it.

The deer are small. Mostly. There are some good sized bucks but they are rare. The ‘pro hunters’ were shooting deer on National Park land. You can’t hunt here anyway. I’d hunt the roads. Watch out for bears, they have learned to come into the sound of a shot and are fracking big. No more black bear season up there so the conflicts are steadily mounting.

COVID? Who knows. They have the highest per capital rates in BC right now, despite banning all ‘non-essential’ travel unless you live there already and then there is no issue with mixing in PR, which has the second higher per capita rates in BC.

Unless you live close, it’s not really a hunt I’d travel to. Lots of better hunting elsewhere and lots of better reasons to go to QC.
    Last edited by Treed; 03-12-2021 at 11:49 PM.

Re: Haida Gwaii/Queen Charlott Trip in Sept 2021 want info on tags temps and where to

Bucket list item for me as well.

What reasons are better to go to QC Treed? What other stuff should a guy (or a few guys) be looking at to do?

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Take a boat/fishing rod/cod jig as well head west towards Rennel Sound, go hunting go fishing trip of a lifetime, tons of area between QC City and Rennel Sound
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Weatherby fan gives good advice, crazy to go there and not bring in some sea food. Also see deer on the shoreline, so bring the rifle on the boat too. I’ll add that there is a butcher shop in charlotte city with a walk in cooler. I had him process two aug bucks up in burger and he did great. vacuum sealed and frozen for the ferry ride home, very convenient. If you’re just going for deer Nov is good and doesn’t cut into elk/moose hunting season.

I’m up there for work every year (except for last year). If you are going to spend the cash for the Ferry, I’d be putting fishing first and hunting second. The fishing can be amazing. If you can’t get a boat, beach fishing and dip-netting crabs is great fun. I just wouldn’t make it a hunting trip only. What would be really fun is getting up into some of the alpine areas and hunting those. I saw a half dozen nice bucks up in the alpine a few years ago... from a helicopter.

End of Nov hunting during the rut on the island is a blast. One of my favorite hunts. I go there to to fill my freezer with beautiful blacktail meat. It really is the best I've eaten and I shoot does and bucks. Camp by the inlets and bring a boat to set some crab and shrimp traps. Picked up some deer off the secluded beaches while dropping the traps and going for a shore cruise. During that time the ferry has a longer sailing schedule and so I stay for about a week. It rains a lot and the temps are all over the map so the last trip we brought a small freezer and a gen. I wouldn't go without one anymore, as all the meat is taken care of. We quarter and take all the neck, tenderloins, and backstraps off. Wrap each quarter in cling wrap as well cling wrap the backstraps and tenderloins together for meal size. Freeze in pieces along with evidence of sex, ie. head, and once frozen, put one deer in a construction garbage bag and keep it frozen until you get home. Once home, vac seal each piece whole and leave frozen until ready to thaw. The deer are small and take up little room this way and if you get stopped by the CO's, your deer are easily separated and identified. Newer cut bocks that are lower in elevation, close to the beaches, seam to produce the most deer. Although, I have not hunted high up in the mountain tops as that is probably where the bigger bucks hide out. They are Blacktails... Go there with an adventure attitude and with respect for all the people that live there. Follow the regs and the islands no shooting areas. Most important is not to leave a mess of carcasses when you leave and respect the place. The island really is an amazing place and beautiful place to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Treed View Post
    Lots of better hunting elsewhere and lots of better reasons to go to QC.
    I have tried most of BC and have not done well at all that was the reason for wanting to do the QC trip.
    Now if you know places on the mainland that one can actually find critters to shoot that are not in parks or sub divisions let me know as the wolves and the FN have pretty much wiped out the game anyplace I have gone to in the last 15 years...

Last year the bands paid 100 per deer for a food hunt program due to covid. Every doe fawn and buck avaible anywhere you could drive got shot. This time of year there ususlly all over the place after the seasons over.
    not this year. Hardly any. Theres your update. Not gonna get into the politics. Lol.

Take lots of bug repellent lol.