Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Preferred Elk call?

Re: Preferred Elk call?

Phelps- Amp grey & Amp white

As other have said. Practice

I also recommend the ElkNut app.

Wayne Carlton, various mouth Reed diaphragms, and a grunt tube.

Bingo
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    There is probably thousands of posts and articles on elk calls. I'm by far in no way and expert here but have been pretty successful with elk given the limited time I've had to hunt them.

I still use an older E.L.K bugle, worked very well for me. For cow calls I use several but my favourites for estrus cow are still the primos hyper lip single and a similar carlton call. I always have a primos ivory plate call in my mouth ( a throw back to my bowhunting days) but have killed 2 elk including my bull last year because a little squeak from that call stopped the elk in its track and gave me a shot. A few years back it, my buddy had that primos (Imaka da Bull crazy) call. I thought it sounded horrible but that particular week, it was the only call we used that would get bulls bugling at us.

I carry about 6 cow calls hoochie mama and a couple other varieties at any given time and when nothing is working, I change it up and try something different. Or I can sound like several different elk chirping " this has worked for me when I bump elk".

I also don't do a pile of calling in big open country. In my limited experience, I've seen many pull into a big cutblock and from the same spot as the guy before them bugle and cow call. I'm a believer that the elk learn where to avoid these spots.

My personal take is that calling at the right time, right amount, from the right location is more important then which brand call you use. Always expect that an elk will show up, every time. Screwed up a few good opportunities in the past where I stopped to let out a call and withing minutes had an elk show up silent.
    Good advice here.
    I've evolved through all the calls over the years. Presently I use the Phelps products. The Amp reeds.
    As stated above, there is no one call. Most calls can work, but more important is timing and location.
    I pack about 6 reeds with me (of course I have my go to) and I carry about 10 hand held calls with me. Some loud, some quiet. Like fishing lures, changing up a call from panicked and searching, to soft, to erotic, to aggressive can make the difference and turn a bull.
    Learn to identify the situation you find yourself in and the call appropriate for that moment.

I have no talent so I use a hootchie mama cow call. I know it’s basic but I have had some pretty good luck. Bulls have come in from a ways off. Timing is key.
    " We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards, that those who follow us and assess our record may see that our mark on the land was one of respect and love, not cruelty and disdain."

Robert B. Oetting

Proud BC Resident Hunter

i wouldn't over think it. Bull elk at the right time will come to pretty much anything. Even someone pulling on a chainsaw.

Go to Can Tire, buy the 2 pack Hoochie Momma calls for 39.99. They are 39.99 for just the Cow call alone anywhere else.

Sorry I sent before finishing my reply.
    The two pack is a cow call and a calf call, those two and I maka da bull crazy calls have worked for me. Just keep changing them up. Best buy is the CanTire two pack.

Well, this all depends.

Lots of folks, the 1st time around, cant use a reed without some serious practice.

So, for a cow call, i like the Primos Hyper Lip.
    It sounds like like the Primos Hoochie Mama, but way more reliable!!
    BUT, it is fairly quiet.
    Also, Buglin Bulls make a cow call by hand (cant think of the name or #), but is louder if you get the plastic version. (think it
    comes in wood as well?)
    As for a diaphragm call, a cow call is way easier to learn, so any Primos or HS or Wayne Carleton or Buglin Bulls cow call reed
    will do, not a big difference, imo.

Now, for bulls, and using a diaphragm call, i only use the Wayne Carleton Tone Trough these days....period.
    I like it in a 2.5, but that is me.

Now, if you dont use a diaphragm for bull call, then there are many bugles out there.
    Most common would be Primos or Thunder Bugle.
    I like the Buglin Bulls stuff myself.
    And yes, Abe and Son make one too!
    I cant say about how their mouthpiece part of the call works, but have always been interested in buying their product for the
    tube and chamber they have designed on there.

One other cow call would be Primos I maka da bull crazy (something like that).
    Orange is quiet, the green is louder and for longer range, fyi.

I like the Phelps calls with a tube... I totally suck at calling though. Gotta start practicing again in the truck where people can't hear me! LOL At least I'm not chocking on them now... getting there.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Great Thread. I have been practicing in my truck as well. I have a couple phelps reeds. i think i have the cow calls down. I need to pickup a bugle tube soon.

I have used all sorts of external calls and bugles. i have had good success, but it like others have said practice.practice.practice!

i think variety is best for calling. make it sounds like you are more than one cow. Don't sounds like the biggest bull otherwise you limit your challengers...