Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 solo moose hunt

2018 solo moose hunt

This is from October 2018, but I just figured out how to copy and paste off photo bucket, so coming up 3 years this fall but better late then never.
    HUGE THANKS TO IRON NOGGIN FOR POSTING THE PICS OF THIS HUNT
    SCROLL DOWN IN THIS THREAD FOR PICS.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR THE POSITIVE COMMENTS.
    GOING SOLO MOOSE AGAIN THIS YEAR. IM SURE IT WILL BE TOUGH TO TOP THIS HUNT.

I was tired of going to great lengths to isolate myself during hunting only to be disturbed or disturb others that were trying to do the same as me.
    so I decided to employ a different tactic and rather than hike my butt off and get back to camp exhausted with sore hips and back, I figured I would paddle the shoreline of a long skinny lake in North Central province.
    Opening day of the 3 day any bull season in zone 6, had me set up camp 2 days before the opener, so I could take my time and set up camp cut some firewood and get to know the canoe and figure out how to load it and keep if level side to side, but also sitting flat bow to stern.
    I took the time to rope everything off in the canoe including my rifle, and also told myself, the water is cold and you won’t have long if you tip so stay close to shore that way if I had to I could get a shore quickly, being 15-20 feet from shore at all times and I would be able to rope everything up if I did tip.
    I don’t think I have ever experienced such a calm tranquil morning Hunting and in a canoe, with not cold, but warm weather, and it took me close to 4 hours to get down the far end of the lake, where from what I could see on google earth has no road access to it, so I was hoping at best seeing a moose or 2 and had no idea what I was in for.
    By 11:40 am I found myself watching a calf on the shore line about 60 yards away, lake was flat, not a breeze to be felt, and I watched this calf with the binoculars for 10 minutes when out pops mum, they rub noses both start eating shoreline browse.
    Then my eyes almost fell out of my head. The bush line came alive with moose.
    If any of you have seen that movie called Predator 2 with Danny Glover when he is on the Alien ship and all these other predators start walking thru the time warp or appearing out of nowhere, well that is what I witnessed.
    in all a total of 9 moose stepped out onto the shoreline.
    there was 2 sets of mom and calf , 2 big bodied cows , 2 twin bulls likely 2 -1/2 year olds as they had tiny paddles a little more than what would say were fork bulls.
    As it was an any bull season , I figured I would take one of the twins.
    then the fellow in the picture stepped into the water about 100 yards down the lake shore and started walking towards the group, I’m sitting in the canoe, by myself and not my Dad or brother with me to share this with and figured nobody is gonna believe me when I say I watched a group of 9 moose together on the shoreline of a lake.
    After a few minutes, with the lake dead flat, calmer than calm, not a breeze felt, blue sky overhead and just before 12 noon on opening day, I watched this fellow step up out of the water and onto the shoreline, which was a couple of feet above the water level.
    It was a awesome site to watch that moose step up out of the water and stood there broadside slightly quartering away from me and giving me the shot we all want.
    as my name on here is lever action, guess what I hunt with, My Dad gave me a savage 308 model 99c in 1979 for my birthday , I was 16, and over the years hunting with Dad and my brother we would go deer or elk of moose hunting and I was always the one shooting something with that gun while my dad and brother did not fill tags for years, so my dad nicknamed my rifle “ Ole Hungry “

So as that bull stood there looking at the other moose, Ole Hungry barked shot #1 and the bull actually turned his head and looked me. I looked down at rifle thinking I missed.
    both calf moose let out a soft bawl at the same time as if to cry for dad getting shot .
    I put another into him and he walked a few yards away from the shoreline and I watched him motion to bed down
    as well as the other moose all grouped up really close together then vanished into the bush.
    I waited about 15 minutes, managed to start breathing again as I dont think I did for a few minutes, went ashore and started looking for my moose, he laid down and settled his head back into a small shrub holding his head and rack up, so when I first saw him , I thought was was still alive and watching me.

5 hours later with Canoe loaded I started the paddle back to camp hugging the shore line, and got close to camp just at dusk and noticed other campers in camp and one of the guys saw me and I asked him to snap a picture of me In the canoe, looks like the cover moose and canoe magazine.

Last edited by Leveraction; 03-28-2021 at 08:29 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2018 solo moose hunt

Wow sounds like an experience. I have had a similar thing happen where the area just comes alive in front of your eyes.

Pics don't work for me but I can imagine.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Hey enjoyed your story .Looking forward to the picture !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

What a great experience, even as we ripen into old goats, when we are blessed with such a gift, even the body breaking work and aches that follow make it special.

Congrats...... Looking forward to pics
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

To cool!! Something to be said about hunting from a canoe, still one of my favourite ways! Thank you for sharing!!

Great story Lever; now for some pics
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Such a great story, thanks for sharing. I tried a similar move but the river/creek I chose had started to freeze up and didn't get far....

Excellent. A peaceful way to hunt. Shooting out of a canoe can be challenging. So can dealing with a moose by yourself!

Thumbs up Re: 2018 solo moose hunt

Great write-up! Congrats on a successful solo!

Just sent you a pm regarding the pictures. If you wish, I will host & post them for you.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Great story. Well done !!