Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Quad Tires

Re: New Quad Tires

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Tim and I have a bear hunt tentatively planned for mid may in my west coast VI spot. Should be a good weekend to test out both machines.
    Your Kodiak should get around REAL Good now with those new GRIPPER's - your old tires were JUNK for Sure ! RJ

Like I said in my initial post, I don't ride hard so take my evaluation for what it is.

I took it out for a ride last night. Right off the start I found the ride super hard and stopped pretty early to check my tire pressure. Tire shop had 14 psi in them. Dropped them to 10, rode a bit then down to 7 and it felt way better, stopped once more dropped to about 5.5 and left them there as steering and handling felt good.

These tires are a bit heavier than my old ones and are a touch larger (for the same stock size tire) but I didn't notice any real difference in power of speed. That said, what I consider gunning it is probably allot different then what hardcore riders do

Super smooth driving on logging roads and power lines. Great traction going up inclines on loose gravel and they stuck pretty well to sloped wet sheet of rock (both were always an issue for my old tires even when they were new).

I don't normally go looking for mud but found a pretty good hole some 4x4 guys have torn up. Had no issues making it through (actually had a bit of fun here) and played for a little while. Treads cleared pretty quick once out of the mud. One thing I didn't like is since the tires are a touch wider and have a heavier tread, not all the mud is captured by my rear fenders. Not a biggy as I don't spend much time in the mud, but really glad I never went with a larger tire.

Went into a cutblock and crawled over some old downed logs and had no issues.

In general, was pretty happy with them but will need more allot more hours on them to test their durability and make make a proper evaluation.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 03-26-2021 at 10:16 AM.

I run 7 psi when fully loaded ( frt and rear storage boxes ) other wise 5 lbs - As for the Mud i put fender extensions on my Polaris - they make a Big Difference ! RJ

https://fortnine.ca/en/superatv-safa...-kit-sff-p-rzr

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Like I said in my initial post, I don't ride hard so take my evaluation for what it is.

I took it out for a ride last night. Right off the start I found the ride super hard and stopped pretty early to check my tire pressure. Tire shop had 14 psi in them. Dropped them to 10, rode a bit then down to 7 and it felt way better, stopped once more dropped to about 5.5 and left them there as steering and handling felt good.

These tires are a bit heavier than my old ones and are a touch larger (for the same stock size tire) but I didn't notice any real difference in power of speed. That said, what I consider gunning it is probably allot different then what hardcore riders do

Super smooth driving on logging roads and power lines. Great traction going up inclines on loose gravel and they stuck pretty well to sloped wet sheet of rock (both were always an issue for my old tires even when they were new).

I don't normally go looking for mud but found a pretty good hole some 4x4 guys have torn up. Had no issues making it through (actually had a bit of fun here) and played for a little while. Treads cleared pretty quick once out of the mud. One thing I didn't like is since the tires are a touch wider and have a heavier tread, not all the mud is captured by my rear fenders. Not a biggy as I don't spend much time in the mud, but really glad I never went with a larger tire.

Went into a cutblock and crawled over some old downed logs and had no issues.

In general, was pretty happy with them but will need more allot more hours on them to test their durability and make make a proper evaluation.
    I have found that running these tires around 5psi or less seems to be fine for the first while until they stretch a bit but if you do get into a trail or slash that you are bouncing of stumps, logs, roots and rocks that they do once in a while come un-seated on the bead for a split second from sidewall strikes and dump the the little bit of air that is in them, they will reseat from the weight of the bike right away but you may find you get a flat when there is no reason. Nice thing with being radials you can ride them flat without damaging the sidewalls. With them being so stiff that you won't even know until you feel it being flat, i have found that if i keep mine above 7 psi i don't have as many sidewall releases as i did when i rode at between 3-5 psi, but as i said i spend more time off the road than on and use my quad to it's capabilities. you will enjoy the tires and they will take you where you want and beyond. Have fun!

Hated the EFX Moto MTC tires (bias ply) on my RZR 800. Lot of vibration and rough ride, even on harder packed FS roads. Side slipped like a mother on steep snow packed grades too. They did wear very well. Sold them after a couple years and run some 8 ply radials similar to the original poster's tires but are Rocktane XDs. No issues over 5 years and really like them for ride and traction. I prefer a flatter tread profile than the more rounded x-section.

RJ, I've had a used set of the radial Mud Lite XTRs on a Honda Rubicon 500 for a couple years before I sold it. They wore very well but were stiff on my quad despite 4 psi inflation pressure. Of course on an old solid axle Honda 1/2 of the suspension are the tires!

Now a days I prefer the Kendra radial Bear Claws I have on my Grizzly. Had excellent luck pulling a trailer up steep rocky grades and in snow with the Bear Claws. Good ride and handling.

Unless you got the Gripper Max tires, the regular ones are bias-ply construction, not radials. I've got the regular ones on my Grizzly and really like them. Pretty tough to beat for the price IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by grantk View Post
    Unless you got the Gripper Max tires, the regular ones are bias-ply construction, not radials.

Yep, they are Gripper Max

Bought the same tires a mouth ago for my arctic cat ,27-10-12 from , 8 ply awesome!

srry, from Revco! 550 to the door victoria.

Hmm not 100% sure..I think I run 5.5 pounds on the ITP BAJA CROSS during hunting / scouting season..and 5.5 pounds on the studded. Traxion grippers during winter plowing ..
    On the ITP 7..8 pounds actually makes it worse squirrels handling..under 5 pounds too squishy..
    Keep us updated on your field research Ron.
    Cheers
    Srupp