Thread: Black Bear. Male vs Female

Black Bear. Male vs Female

Okay fellas spring bear is coming up . Could you more experienced Black Bear hunters post up your tips to avoid taking a female that could possible have Cubs . Characteristics of Males vs Females
    If you have photos of each that would be even better . I would imagine patience is key as the Cubs could off a bit from the Mother
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Black Bear. Male vs Female

Sows have a more pointed looking nose and their ears are closer together and more upright than boars.Even a large sow this will be noticeable compared to a boar.
    A boar will have a broad head and a large boar the ears will be spread apart and appear more on the side of it's head. It's muzzle will be more round looking.
    During the spring breeding season it is a good time to study these animals together and the differences will be readily apperant.
    Sows will sometimes stash their cubs in the bush for a while when feeding so it is a good idea to watch for a while before shooting so no supprises.Lots of bears around so take your time.

Some pointers for you. I don't know how to post pics, but will do my best to help. The idea is to shoot a mature boar. Some characteristics of a mature boar is a large head and the ears look small and toward each side. IF the ears look big, it is not a good bear. Bigger boars lots of times will have a crease down their forehead. This is usually a sign of a good bear. Looking at a boar from behind, they are built like an upside down U, where a sow will have hips, or is actually curvy like a woman. Big boars front end is big and thick. A sow will look almost pear shaped, with a big rearend and a small, less muscular front. If a bear looks pear shaped, not a shooter and most likely a sow. Big boars have no neck. Their body tapers into their head. A sow or a small bear will have a distinct neck. If the neck is skinnier than the head, not a shooter. Small bears have a fox, or triangle face, a big boar has a blocky head. Bottom line is it will take a bunch of bears to get the hang of it. There is always another bear, so don't be afraid to let some walk. I will tell you one thing for sure, Bears are like a lot of other animals in the fact that when you see a big one, you will know it. Baited bear hunts on you tube will help you practice judging bears. Even after seeing hundreds of bears, I still misjudge sometimes, but lucky for us, we get two tags! Good luck with the hunt. If you get lucky, a breeding pair will also help you see the differences in both sows and boars.

Thank You xlcc and Huevos for your replies !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Super hard to judge have watched sow w swager for an hour plus thinking their big .. Popped what I thought was a mid sized bear and he was over 250 on the hook take your time concider glassing the whole area several times if your on a bear vissually and outside wind range then just take your time you often have a LONG time to view well they mow their hillside just be calm wait and if its been around an hour or so and you have seen short ear to head swagger low hanging belly and not to many checks around for stuff its likely a boar just remember that both boar and sow are harvestable and if you have taken your time its all you can do.. Every ethical hunters worst feelings are a lost animal or harvesting a female w adolecents just take your time and do things right

I have found the boar just eats and the sow is always looking over to where her cubs are and looking around. She is nervous due to the cubs.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"