Thread: Cutthroat fishing advice for a newb please

Cutthroat fishing advice for a newb please

My 76 year old fishing mentor wants to go for cutthroat trout in the Fraser River near the mouth of the Vedder next month.

I have never fished for a cutthroat so any advice, especially on lures, rigs, methods would be appreciated.

We will be boat fishing from my little 14' dinghy. I have both a 25HP plus a 5HP kicker on it. I have a 20lb river anchor on a 10' chain, 100' nylon rope anchor rode.

I assume you use binoculars to spot them on surface feeding on salmon fry then hit those areas? If you are not hitting, keep moving to find them?

I don't fly fish but I may try it. If anyone can recommend a good starter setup for fly fishing, price limit $400 I would appreciate it.

I have a Mitchell 300 with a deep spool of 8lb mono on a 7' spinning rod and a Quantum level wind with 14lb mono on a 9' rod.

Lures, small spinners with barbless single hooks? No. 5 or 6 hooks with salmon roe below floats?

I will get a catch and release net for those we are releasing.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Cutthroat fishing advice for a newb please

I did best with deadly dicks just casting. Silver with silver mylar and silver with blue mylar. Mind you this was up near Tofino and Ucluelet river mouths. Mitchell 301 with 10 lb test. Caught the odd big greenling.
    Back then it was all treble hooks with barbs.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Re: Cutthroat fishing advice for a newb please

Little rainbow croc's work but if you fly fish and get on the right pattern it will be far more exciting. A Very sparse fry pattern right now.