Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring bear in Cariboo help?

Question Spring bear in Cariboo help?

I’m looking for info on spring bear hunting in Cariboo region.

I’ve been “hunting” for a few years now, more often than not unsuccessfully. Mostly due to living in the city, inexperience, not being able to spend enough time in the woods scouting, therefore not hunting at the right time at the right place, etc. So far, I was able to harvest a mule doe that I got on LEH, and a smaller black bear two years ago.

I know many people probably disagree, but I find the bear meat much better than deer. If I had a deer and a bear standing side by side, I would take the bear...
    Which brings me to my quest for this year bear hunt.

I’m dedicating one week this year just for spring bear hunt. People seem to mention that there are tons of bears in the interior and I’m thinking about hunting there this year.

I will be going end of May first week of June. The plan is to hunt somewhere north of Williams lake, PG, up to maybe Vanderhoof, Mackenzie??? I don't know.

This will be pretty much the only opportunity for me to fill the freezer for this year. I would like to do everything I can to be successful. It is purely for meat, I don’t care about color or anything really, just that the bears are healthy.

The land is vast, departure day is getting closer, and I don’t know where to start. Is there anyone who lives in the area who wouldn’t mind helping out and point me in the right direction? Not asking for gps coordinates just perhaps areas that are known to hold bears, perhaps placed to avoid, etc. Just to get me started. Is that even the right time to be looking for bears there? Could I realistically fill two tags in a week there?

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could help me out.

Thank you.
    Stu

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Spring bear in Cariboo help?

If you came up around PG and spent 5 day’s hunting bear, especially those dates you picked ... you should be able to have 2 bears and get some wicked fishing done. I would recommend places. But pretty much everywhere Is good for bear up here

Anywhere you head out will hold bears in your time frame. Pick a spot and go.

Hi Stu,

I am in the same boat as you. only three seasons in, and learning the ropes without a mentor so happy to help with what I know. I had a moose LEH up there a year and a half ago.

look into Woodcock lake and Grizzly Lake rec sites. both are good sites, and I liked the fact that they are in a good 35 - 40 minutes from Vanderhoof / PG so you filter out a lot of the after work crowd just going for a quick couple hours of road hunting. Good terrain all around these sites. good fishing for mid-day doldrums. lots of cut blocks and good areas to glass.

Moosinaround gas a great resource for that neck of the woods, as he lives in the area. You might want to reach out to him.

Also be weary of Grizz up there. I was cow calling and had one come barreling down a slope from 70 yards at me full sprint, and was lucky enough to stop it with my voice just before it got into a willow patch that led right up to about 5 yards in front of me.

I did a lot of E scouting and spent 7 days up there, so if this general area interests you, I can help futher.

Mr S Rupp could steer you in the right direction . I’m not trying to be a pain but I don’t think you need to go all the way to P.G. or the Hoof for black bear , unless of course you want to ! Best of luck !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Try anywhere, no need to overthink this. If you find bear scat, stick with it. If not, move on. Good luck and have fun.

There are a couple of things that interest bears in the spring.

The first is having their gut purged. During hibernation, they have been living off the fat that they had accumulated prior to their nap. To get it going, they prefer to eat vegetation, mainly new grass. So you want to keep your eyes on south facing slopes that get lots of sun which leads to early grass growth. Power lines come to mind as do recent clearcuts preferably a couple of years old. Don't overlook areas of forest fires too. Lots of vegetation pops up on these. Only problem with burnt area is distinguishing bears from blackened stumps.

After the purge, they turn their attention to protein. If an area has a good population of gophers or ground squirrels, you may find bears hanging out around there as the rodents will emerge earlier in the spring. And then there is nothing like the waft of fresh placenta in the air to get a bear hauling ass looking for the source. So in late may and into June, watch for pregnant deer, moose and elk that are getting ready to birth. Do them a favor; whack a bear, save a fawn or calf or two.

Where to go? You usually don't need to go to far away from the city. But if you were to head up into the Cariboo, anywhere east of the Fraser River would do. Swift River/Nyland Lake come to mind.
    Last edited by Jagermeister; 03-24-2021 at 12:37 PM.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

I just want to say thanks to everyone for the info here and the pm's I got.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Mr S Rupp could steer you in the right direction . I’m not trying to be a pain but I don’t think you need to go all the way to P.G. or the Hoof for black bear , unless of course you want to ! Best of luck !
    Arctic Lake
    I know what you mean, I just like to go and explore different places, change of scenery, and preferably away from people. Hunting for me is more like a retreat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    There are a couple of things that interest bears in the spring.

The first is having their gut purged. During hibernation, they have been living off the fat that they had accumulated prior to their nap. To get it going, they prefer to eat vegetation, mainly new grass. So you want to keep your eyes on south facing slopes that get lots of sun which leads to early grass growth. Power lines come to mind as do recent clear cuts preferably a couple of years old. Don't overlook areas of forest fires too. Lots of vegetation pops up on these. Only problem with burnt area is distinguishing bears from blackened stumps.

After the purge, they turn their attention to protein. If an area has a good population of gophers or ground squirrels, you may find bears hanging out around there as the rodents will emerge earlier in the spring. And then there is nothing like the waft of fresh placenta in the air to get a bear hauling ass looking for the source. So in late may and into June, watch for pregnant deer, moose and elk that are getting ready to birth. Do them a favor; whack a bear, save a fawn or calf or two.

Where to go? You usually don't need to go to far away from the city. But if you were to head up into the Cariboo, anywhere east of the Fraser River would do. Swift River/Nyland Lake come to mind.
    Thank you for the great tips. There will be two less bears there this year if I can help it. And yess, I want to be away from the city.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew5 View Post
    Hi Stu,

I am in the same boat as you. only three seasons in, and learning the ropes without a mentor so happy to help with what I know. I had a moose LEH up there a year and a half ago.

look into Woodcock lake and Grizzly Lake rec sites. both are good sites, and I liked the fact that they are in a good 35 - 40 minutes from Vanderhoof / PG so you filter out a lot of the after work crowd just going for a quick couple hours of road hunting. Good terrain all around these sites. good fishing for mid-day doldrums. lots of cut blocks and good areas to glass.

Moosinaround gas a great resource for that neck of the woods, as he lives in the area. You might want to reach out to him.

Also be weary of Grizz up there. I was cow calling and had one come barreling down a slope from 70 yards at me full sprint, and was lucky enough to stop it with my voice just before it got into a willow patch that led right up to about 5 yards in front of me.

I did a lot of E scouting and spent 7 days up there, so if this general area interests you, I can help futher.
    That sounds like an area I would love to explore. I don't think I would want to be calling for bear in Grizzly country, that would be a bit too much excitement for me. I'm more than happy to take up on your offer for more info. I'll send you a pm later.
    Thank you.

Not really bear hunting specific but I have some other questions about the region to help me better prepare.

What is the weather like that time of the year?
    Freezing overnight, warm during day?
    Should I expect lots of rain or is it mostly dry that time of the year?
    How bad are the bugs?
    How about ticks? Are they a problem there?

Hmm pretty much anywhere east of Williams lk
    May 15....onward
    Send PM with # I will call
    Srupp