Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bear calling fail

Re: Bear calling fail

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest the Land View Post
    How long did you try calling for in a given calling session?
    Sometimes over a couple hours, a log way off any busy roads, at the ends of small deactivated logging roads.

Definitely hit or miss. To the point that unless I come across some hot sh*t I won’t even bother. 3 experiences stand out for me, first was actually my first time bear hunting. We were driving past a cut block and saw a bear rip off towards the trees so we got out and started calling. Turned him around and brought him back to within 20 yards. Nice red colour phase bear. Didn’t shoot cuz of buck (or is it bear) fever and couldn’t settle cross hairs.

Second experience was calling and watching a nice bear take off like it’s ass was on fire.

Third was coming across some real fresh crap and slowly walking up an old road calling every 15 yards. Bear came in through the thick stuff no more then 10 yards out but took off as soon as my buddy worked the action on his rifle.

these are the only 3 times calling has worked for me and all 3 of them I either saw the bear before hand and was trying to turn them around or I knew they were close due to the sign.

I've never called in a bear but I've had them stop and become curious when I called. I just about had my head ripped off when I was sitting in a small bluff of shrubs using a rabbit call and I heard a loud 'swoosh' sound behind me. I turned around and ducked as an eagle almost knocked my hat off.

I've called in bear numerous time with a rabbit call...4 key points though, 1st, you have to be within their ear range(they have to hear you)...2nd, they can't be educated to the call (as in an area with lots of human activity ... 3rd, you need to be patient (it may take quite some time before they show up) and 4th, likely from the down wind side.
    If they wind you, chances are you ain't going to see them.

I had a monstrosity of a black bear come charging and foaming at mouth to my cow elk chirp. I was NOT trying to call in bear! That put an end to my bow hunting on the ground career! They will come. Probably works best if you have spotted a bear first. Carry a few different calls. Subtle little squeaks like a field mouse will get their attention for sure.
    Last edited by Deer_Slayer; 05-02-2021 at 10:12 AM.

I found that cow calls for moose in the Tumbler Ridge area brings the grizzlies in on the run, everytime,,blacks, not so much...lol