Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mid-Sized Canvas tent advice...

Mid-Sized Canvas tent advice...

Hey Everybody. I'm hoping for some advice from you regarding smaller canvas tents:

My Situation:
    I have an MSR Hubba Hubba for early season/alpine trips that serves me well for that purpose, generally just me and a partner in the alpine. I have a 12x14 wall tent with woodstove that we use for larger group hunts and late season trips - truck access only, usually 4 guys with a woodstove which works great. So I have those two scenarios covered.

What I like to do that makes me think I need a new piece of kit: (2 different scenarios):
    1 - I like to do some hunting way back into motor vehicle closed areas. These are most often accessed by mountain bike with a trailer, and generally later season either for elk or whitetail/mulie hunts (cold and often wet). For this, the wall tent is waaay too big, and my hubba hubba works, but it can get pretty uncomfortable after a couple of wet days.
    2 - There are a couple of spots that I like to hunt mule deer that are quad access only (like 30km back from where a truck can get to). Again, the wall tent is too big, and same issue with the hubba hubba - too small and no stove so once wet you're staying wet...

What I think I "need":
    For the two hunts described above, I'm looking for the following:
    - fits two people (maybe with small cots)
    - is somewhat packable for mtn bike trailer or quad tub trailer
    - must be stove compatible - I'm going to start bringing my 10 year old daughter along, so it's got to be warm and dry to be fun...
    - should be canadian made if possible
    - anything else I should consider?

I've found two candidates: the Esker Arctic fox 9x9 (or maybe their square 10x10), and the ultimate 300 Bell tent by Citizen Canvas. Both are similar price, both need guylines to stake out the sides effectively, and both should have similar waterproofing characteristics from what I've read. What I can't figure out, is that the esker weighs 13lbs while the ultimate weighs 46 lbs??? I think we're comparing applies to oranges cause the Esker has no floor and no pole... The ultimate doesn't specify the weight of the canvas, so I assume that's where the weight difference comes from for the most part? ANyone got any pics fo the inside of the ultimate 300? Their website is kinda crappy.

Lozzie started a post on this a month or so over on the Islands forum, but hoping that a few more of you might have some advice. I'd really like the floor setup of the ultimate, but don't think I can justify another 30lbs for that... Any other advantages or disadvantages of either I should be thinking of? Any other suggestions for hot tents? Can't believe it's still months away but getting itchy already for my fall hunts.

Cheers,
    TJ

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mid-Sized Canvas tent advice...

Snowtrekker?
    How bout Seek Outside Redcliff or 8 Man Tipi?

Quote Originally Posted by waserwolf View Post
    Snowtrekker?
    How bout Seek Outside Redcliff or 8 Man Tipi?
    Thanks - more to think about.

I like the idea of a lighter nylon tent like the seek outdoors... but I wonder about condensation for sure. What are your guys experiences with this? I guess it's no issue if you have the stove cranking!

Thanks for those suggestions - I'll look into them. Are there canadian distributors for the seek tents or is it just direct order from the states?

Probably heavier than you want (definitely for mountain bike) but ok for atv, look at the Kodiak Canvas flex bow or Springbar canvas tents. Minimal frame and not freestanding (they need to be staked)

others like white duck, bushtec, Teton, wildcat

all these manufactures offer tents that ARE NoT full frame canvas tents and

a Snowtrekker with the Easton aluminum poles looks nice but no windows...if that’s important. And looks like a lot of tie outs

I have a Selkirk Canvas 10x10 spike tent I picked up for a jet boat trip last year. It runs one pole in the middle, two doors, bathtub floor, fitted rain fly, stove jack. I think its 65 lbs and packs down very nicely. We used it for 3 guys and its awesome. Being the gear junkie I am I picked up a Stone Glacier Skydome and nuway propane heater for fly in trips. I am thinking about selling the spike tent as I don't need two.
    WSS BC Monarch Member
    WSF Member
    BCWF Member
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

I have a Kodiak canvas 10x10 flexbow tent and I love it. Had it for about six years now with out an issue

I have a Seek Outside tipi. Condensation can be a bit of an issue but like you say, the stove generally makes quick work of it. I'm going to buy a liner this year and see how that works. I carry a sponge to wipe off any really heavy condensation. It take a bit of practice to learn how to manage the condensation but really, that's minor when you consider all the other benefits of such a tent. I'm pleased with mine.

If I was to to do it again I would buy one of their tents with a square footprint rather than the round footprint in my 6 man tipi. The Redcliff or Cimarron I think? Not as tall as a tipi but you can still stand up. Having straight sides is much better than the wasted space of curved sides. Their Courthouse tent looks interesting too.

Have look at Liteoutdoors tents and stoves. I bought a Isola4 and a 18" stove. It is a two person, stove, gear light weight tipitent. I slept in it friday night at -3 and it was raining hard and then turned into freezing rain. Woke up with tent all frozen, unzipped the bag and lit a fire in the stove. In three minutes the tent was warm and I was sitting up. I bought this setup for backpacking hiking into hunting areas as well as quading into spots that are real close to my hunting/fishing. I believe this setup will allow me to stay closer and warmer/drier in my spots that need that extra time to get to.

Quote Originally Posted by firebird View Post
    Probably heavier than you want (definitely for mountain bike) but ok for atv, look at the Kodiak Canvas flex bow or Springbar canvas tents. Minimal frame and not freestanding (they need to be staked)

others like white duck, bushtec, Teton, wildcat

all these manufactures offer tents that ARE NoT full frame canvas tents and

a Snowtrekker with the Easton aluminum poles looks nice but no windows...if that’s important. And looks like a lot of tie outs
    thanks for those suggestions - I'll have to look into them more. The more I think about it, the weight of the framed tents are going to make things weight-prohibitive, especially for the mountain biking part. I think I'd rather have something lighter that is perfect for biking, and will "work" for the quad trips even if a guy wanted something better/bigger. The seek redcliffe looks like it could do the trick, but then I stumble at the price - $1,100 american with a stove plus tax, exchange, duty... are they really close to $2k canadian to get one up here? Any canadian dealers?

Quote Originally Posted by sako79 View Post
    I have a Kodiak canvas 10x10 flexbow tent and I love it. Had it for about six years now with out an issue
    thanks for this... They do look nice, but at 65 lbs I'm not sure it will work for me... You put a stove in yours? Does that roof produce a lot of condensation?

TJ